News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Viribus Unitis just docked yesterday

I just got this in and thought I would show it off.

This is a 61mm table maedal complete with the original case. It's all pretty self-explanatory when you see the photos.

So I'll address each photo as I post it.

So, why would I say this has "just docked"?

I'll post the medallion first and tell you the answer later on today or tomorrow.

First up the obverse showing Kaiser Wilhelm II and Emperor Franz Joseph 1 with the usual Gott Mit Uns above.

Next is the reverse.

This has the two crowns, I would have to assume one for each ruler and the wording "Viribus Unitis", which was the personal motto of Emperor Franz Joseph I and means "With United Forces". The dates 1914- 1915 can also be seen.

There is no lettering on the rim, in case you were wondering.

I forgot to mention that on the obverse behind Franz Joseph is stamped "R.NEUBERGER, WIEN 1915".

Here's the case. The bottom is black and in perfect condition. This whole specimen is in very good condition.

Can anyone help with the wording on the box lid. I am guessing, but would it translate as War Ministry, or something of that manner?

I really liked the detail on the box catch and wanted you to see it as well.

No attention to this sort of detail exists in today's world.

I hope you enjoyed my newest addition.

Regards

Brian

PS. Figured out why I said it had just docked. This is probably going to be an easy question especially for the First World War experts.

Nice :love: The Austrians made some classy table medals. Is it bronze or bronzed Kriegsmetall and how big is it? I have one of Hötzendorf that looks and feels bronze but someone tried to make it into a belt buckle and melted a bit of the reverse :angry:

Nice :love: The Austrians made some classy table medals. Is it bronze or bronzed Kriegsmetall and how big is it? I have one of Hötzendorf that looks and feels bronze but someone tried to make it into a belt buckle and melted a bit of the reverse :angry:

Hi Tom,

This one is bronze and measures 61mm in diameter.

Regadrs

Brian

I think Kriegsfürsorgeamt is the government War Relief Office, which would be either selling these medals to raise funds or bestowing them on volunteers or officials. In other words, a civilian thing, not military.

Chip

Edited by Chip

I think Kriegsfürsorgeamt is the government War Relief Office, which would be either selling these medals to raise funds or bestowing them on volunteers or officials. In other words, a civilian thing, not military.

Chip

Thanks Chip,

I tried to run the word through an on line translator with little luck. The word Krieg came out "war" of course but the rest didn't make sense in English. While it may indeed be a civilian medallion it will still fit in my collection as is did have to do with the First World War, and besides I like it. :rolleyes:

Regards

Brian

Brian,

No harm meant. Just trying to describe it for you. It's a beautifully done piece. I like it too!

Chip

Hi Chip,

No harm done.

That's what I dislike about the internet, it's hard to tell how someone takes things.

I was very happy to hear your translation.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

Next is the reverse.

This has the two crowns, I would have to assume one for each ruler.......

You're correct, Brian. The crown on the left is the imperial crown of the Austrian empire, which actually exists. The one on the right is the imperial crown of the German empire, which never actually existed it was used in artwork, military and government insignia, etc. The crown of the kingdom of Prussia actually exists, but they never got around to actually manufacturing an imperial crown.

You're correct, Brian. The crown on the left is the imperial crown of the Austrian empire, which actually exists. The one on the right is the imperial crown of the German empire, which never actually existed it was used in artwork, military and government insignia, etc. The crown of the kingdom of Prussia actually exists, but they never got around to actually manufacturing an imperial crown.

Hi Mike,

That's interesting and thanks for adding that information.

Here I thought I wouldn't learn something new today. :lol:

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

Hi Mike,

That's interesting and thanks for adding that information.

Here I thought I wouldn't learn something new today. :lol:

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

You're quite welcome! Here are two photos I found, one of the Austrian crown and the other of the Prussian crown:

AUSTRIA

austriancrown2.jpg

PRUSSIA

prussiancrownphoto.jpg

Edited by Mike Dwyer