News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KVK 1st Class with Swords - Maker?

Guest Darrell

Since the Dean of EKs and KVKs visits this forum quite regularly (Gordon), I was wondering if he may be able to ID this Cased KVK 1 w/ Swords that I got a few weeks back.

WMC1stSwords-Case.jpg

I've checked many similar badges and it appears to be a closest match to an L/11 or a "43".

43 on Left, L/11 on Right:

KVKs1st.jpg

Since Gordon is publishing a KVK book soon, he may offer a guess?

Thanks smile.gif

I have the identical twin to this piece, also in the identical box (with rectangular push button) and for me, am pretty sure its an unmarked "43". The L/11 pin tapers more towards the point and is shorter, but these unmarked pieces have pins which are identical to the 43. I've also compared the obverse details to the "43" and they are identical.

Here's mine.

unmarked43.jpg

Guest Darrell

Thanks Gordon, If you take a look at more direct views, it appears my pin is a bit shorter and has more of a point to the pin. Much more so than the 43.

WarMeritCross1stClasswithSwords1939.jpg

How does the Obverse compare to yours? Still think its an unmarked "43"? Although it does appear the pin is wide from one end to the other and not tapered as far up as the L/11 ??

Thanks for your thoughts smile.gif

Edited by Darrell

If you look at the hinge on the 43 marked piece, it is set a mm or two down front the "notch" in the top arm. On the unmarked ones, both yours and mine, the hinge is set as far up as it can go, right to the edge. If you allow for this, the difference in length isn't really significant.

My money would still be on them being unmarked 43 unless we can find another closer match.

Darrell

Difficult to say. As with all these sorts of projects just as you think you have it completed, something else comes along you want to include. Its now at around 500 colour photos and 300 wartime b/w photos, mostly the Knights Cross winners. I'm working through the last of the photo captioning and hope to get the whole lot off to Roger Bender in the next couple of weeks. Roger is currently working on my U-Boat book, so even when he gets the KVK material it will have to await its place in the queue.

Guest Darrell

Excellent news .... I know two fellows from Alberta will be grabbing that book when it's available smile.gif

Guest Darrell

Hey, don't forget that guy from Colorado!!!

Unfortunately, I'm working all weekend but I really need to post my unmarked KVKI.  Maybe you guys could help me figure it out.

Oooops cheeky