News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cedar Oil as a Moth Deterrent.

Cedar oil & little balls of cedar wood are marketed as moth deterrents, how about nice big fat, green, resinous cedar cones?

Would they have the same effect? Wrapped in cloth so that the whole or sliced cone would'nt smear sticky resin all over, placed under a cap or tucked in a pocket of a tunic, would they keep moths at bay?

I think someone in my wife's family did that, it was supposed to work well but I can't confirm it.

I've used cedar coat hangers and also small linen bags of cedar, which work well for hats, in the past.

Tony

Just wondered, as I raided a coupla trees in Greenwich Park day before yesterday. They make your pockets sticky. And your comb, your loose change, your car keys, etc etc.....

If they don't ward off moths they'll trap them in the resin.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

Stumbled across this thread.

I used to buy cedar wood "O" rings to hang amongst clothes, particularly when these were held in storage. However, I was under the impression that you had to sand these from time to time - just a light sanding to re-activate the cedar.

Sounded more like witchcraft to me, yet it seemed to do the job.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by JimZ

I have come across tobacco leaf being used in country areas of Transylvania.

It is placed between the folds of sheets and woolen blankets

and the traditional costumes, while in storage.

and it's not as repugnant as expelled tobacco smoke

the other alternative is camphor balls.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Stumbled across this thread.

I used to buy cedar wood "O" rings to hang amongst clothes, particularly when these were held in storage. However, I was under the impression that you had to sand these from time to time - just a light sanding to re-activate the cedar.

Sounded more like witchcraft to me, yet it seemed to do the job.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Greating from my cabinet shop.

I'm not sure about witchcraft but the sanding is necessary because as time passes the oils in the wood start to dry at the surface so what sanding does is to renew the raw surface. That's why the inside surfaces of a cedar chest is not or at least should not be sealed, the inside of a cedar chest should also be sanded once in a while as well.

Now back to my military collection room. :rolleyes:

Regards

Brian

I have come across tobacco leaf being used in country areas of Transylvania.

It is placed between the folds of sheets and woolen blankets

and the traditional costumes, while in storage.

and it's not as repugnant as expelled tobacco smoke

the other alternative is camphor balls.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hi Kevin,

You're sure right about the tobacco leaf. There is nothing as nice smelling as tobacco curing in the kiln, unless it is coffee brewing first thing in the morning. Darn, now I have a taste for bacon and eggs. Thanks a lot Kev! ;)

Regards

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

My mother has given me a bag of cedar rings, like big Polo mints that fit over the hook on a coathanger, along with a small bottle of cedar oil which you refresh them with.

These particular rings were produced in Poland & bought through one of the "Cleneze" type companies that leave their catalogues on your doorstep to solicit orders.

I inspected a large bag of caps & berets bundled in the garage yesterday & right at the bottom, despite the mothballs & anti-moth impregnated cardboard flowers I found a small white caterpilar.

The whole ground floor of the house reeks of mothballs & flowery perfumed anti-moth stuff & still the little swine keep coming.