News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Egypt: Unknown medal on Naguib

ChrisW

This is a Getty image from Aug. 1953. What's the medal that Naguib is wearing? It certainly isn't any official Egyptian one, it looks almost like a medal from a private club or association. Hope the images are clear. If not, you can find it on gettyimages.com searching for "naguib 1953".

Here is a better picture of General Naguib.

1st row : Liberation Order - Military Medal of the Republic (not 100 % sure) - Order of the Nile

2nd row : 10 th Anniversary of Revolution Medal - Order of the Republic ( 1st Class ) - Order of Sport ( 1st Class ) - End of Occupation Decoration

3rd row : Military Independence Decoration - Victory Decoration - Silver Anniversay of Air Force Medal - Army Day Medal

The Order of the Nile had been re-instituted in 1953 as a 2 classes award (Collar for Head of State & Star & Sash for Prime Minister)

The Order of the Republic had been instituted in 1953 and same for the Order pf Sport.

General Naguib was forced to resign in 1954 and was under house of arrest in a villa until 1972 when he was released by President Sadate.

He died in 1984.

As on the picture he seems to wear the 10 th Anniversary of Revolution Medal on 2nd row,the ribbon rows may have been updated on this picture which is a postcard bought in Alexandria.

I will later post picture of Indepence Decoration & Silver Anniversary of Air Force.

If any one has picture of End of Occupation Decoration - Military Independence Decoration - Victory Decoration & Army Day Medal it would be nice if you could post them.

Emmanuel

This is the Egypt Liberation Order ,on top there is the 2 Crossed Saber for the Army.

On bottom left the Eagle for the Air Force & on right hand the 2 Ccrossed Anchors for the Navy.

In center there is an arabic inscription that certainly would reads " Misr " which is the arab name for Egypt.

This purely military award was only awarded in 1952/53 and reverse is plain.

Its size is 46 millimeters high x 43 millimeters wide.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel,

Thanks for posting these. You raise a number of interesting issues that warrant further discussion: Naguib's medals specifically, and the series of Egyptian commemorative medals from the 1950s.

First, Naguib's medals.

I too have a copy of this postcard, and have often wondered about it. I have to say, I think it's inaccurate. It is a modern ,hand-colored reprint, sold as a souvenir. I strongly believe that the artist invented Naguib's ribbon bar (or pasted it in from a different photo). I can't find an un-retouched original version of this photo, however.

There are numerous inconsistencies in this ribbon bar that make it impossible to have been worn during the 1952-54 period:

- It lacks the Palestine War Medal which Naguib earned.

- It has the 10th Anniversary of the Revolution ribbon, which wasn't issued until at least 1962. Naguib obviously couldn't be wearing this during the 1952-54 period.

- Ditto the Evacuation Medal, not issued until 1955.

- Ditto the Independence Medal, not issued until 1956.

- Ditto the Armed Forces Medal, not issued until 1959.

- It's unlikely he'd be wearing an Air Force medal.

Naguib quickly earned a large number of ribbons between 1952-54, here are some representative photos.

This is probably hand-colored as well, but more accurately depicts his ribbons. (Source: archive photo from Misr al-Mahroussa, Aug. 2002)

Edited by Chris Weeks

The second point you raise is the issue of Egyptian commemorative medals. In the years after the 1952 Revolution Egypt created several medals to commemorate important political/military milestones (Liberation, Independence, Evacuation, etc.)

The ribbons for these medals are extremely common– indeed, the Liberation Medal is probably the single most commonly seen modern Egyptian ribbon. But the actual medals themselves are extremely rare. I've only seen a few examples of the Liberation Star, and none of the others. My suspicion is that Bichay designed these medals, and manufactured at least a small number of the Liberation Stars. But the prospect of manufacturing hundreds of thousands of full-sized medals, for distribution to essentially every active-duty Egyptian soldier, was far too expensive. A few officers may have privately purchased them if they wished. But these medals basically exist as ribbons only.

Here is a very nice watercolor by Bichay, illustrating his design for the Liberation Star (top, for officers) and Liberation Medal (bottom, for enlisted men). I've don't think I've ever seen an example of the actual Liberation Medal.

Edited by Chris Weeks

This is the Liberation Medal (but in bad condition,....found like that).

I agree he couldn't have ben awarded the 10th Anniversary of Revolution,that's why I wrote it's strange.

On the colour picture of Naguib you posted,the 1st ribbon at left on 2nd row (red/green/yellow/green/red) seems to be the Egypt/Israel Independence War 1947/48 & the middle ribbon on 2nd row (red/green/red) seems to be the Centenary of Mohamed Ali Medal (issued 1949) and this medal was allowed to be worn after 1953.

I have also the ribbon for Evacuation Decoration & Army Day Medal in my collection,but I was never been able to see even a sketch.Thanks for having post the draw of Bichay for the Liberation Star & Liberation Medal.

I got several Orders & Medals from Egypt after Bichay died,from his son in law.I asked for these Evacuation & Army Day Medal,but what I got was ribbon.I even have the rare ribbon for the Shooting Medal (that for which we know this award exist only as a ribbon).

Do you have others ?

With arab countries lots of things are strange,King Abdallah II of Jordan is wearing on his medal bar the Karama Battle which was in 1968,...actually in his first official portrait he's wearing the medal bar of his father....

I also agree that the postcard of Naguib could certainly be a "colourised" black & white picture and for the ribbon bar they may have put what they had in stock at an army shop of ribbon ??

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68