News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi, Joe,

I'm glad you jumped in here since you know a lot more about this stuff then I do! According to an on-line map I just looked at Punitz is about 60 kilomenters almost due South of Posen. I don't know if this helps any or not.

V1909.jpg

That town is not near Posen. this shows the regimental garrisoning in 1909. The black numbers are the infantry regiments and you can see where infantry Regiment 19 is. it's a good question!

Joe,

Accordining to an on-line map of Poland I've looked at the town isn't on your map. I don't know the scale of your map, but the town of Punitz is somewhere right around or above the letter "a" in the name of the town of Lissa that's on your map northeast of Glogau. According to the information I found on line the population of Punitz, now called Poniec, was only 2,875 in 2006, so it was probably a small village in 1900 or so.

Joe,

Accordining to an on-line map of Poland I've looked at the town isn't on your map. I don't know the scale of your map, but the town of Punitz is somewhere right around or above the letter "a" in the name of the town of Lissa that's on your map northeast of Glogau. According to the information I found on line the population of Punitz, now called Poniec, was only 2,875 in 2006, so it was probably a small village in 1900 or so.

Yep smal Village-Mike is right is on the Map(bigger Scale) what Unit Infantrie is possible for that area please

Yours Jurgen

what Unit Infantrie is possible for that area please

Not so easy. It would help to know which Bezirkscommando he dealt with. But while recruiting was generally regional there were a huge amount of exceptions. Basically, it depended upon different quotas that were given to different Bezirkscommandos each year. In general, many of the Eastern regiments needed recruits that came from the west and major population centers. It would be helpful if we knew this guy's occupation. But even then we would be making guesses. It seems as though he was probably from the lower class, of Polish ancestry and was really quite lucky just to get a slot in a prewar regiment. Often, working conditions and living conditions were far better in the Army than at home. I am not so sure that he was still in the same area as his birth. You would know but we have to remember that he started working at the age of 14 or 15. Again, it would be helpful if we knew his occupation–was he a farmer?–was he unskilled labor?–what did he do when he moved to Hamburg?

Not so easy. It would help to know which Bezirkscommando he dealt with. But while recruiting was generally regional there were a huge amount of exceptions. Basically, it depended upon different quotas that were given to different Bezirkscommandos each year. In general, many of the Eastern regiments needed recruits that came from the west and major population centers. It would be helpful if we knew this guy's occupation. But even then we would be making guesses. It seems as though he was probably from the lower class, of Polish ancestry and was really quite lucky just to get a slot in a prewar regiment. Often, working conditions and living conditions were far better in the Army than at home. I am not so sure that he was still in the same area as his birth. You would know but we have to remember that he started working at the age of 14 or 15. Again, it would be helpful if we knew his occupation–was he a farmer?–was he unskilled labor?–what did he do when he moved to Hamburg?

Good Morning Joe-thanks for trying to found my Grandfathers first Regiment!

Its all not so easy to explain:To know the historical Circumstances in this often changing Area of polish/prussian Influenz(an unruly Neighbourhut to Russia)so the big Fortresses and prussian Army Installation of regiments on the Border then under russian Rule Poland-I guess you know how it came about with the Total anihilation of Poland and "carving up" between Russia/Prussia and Austria?So much I guess was my Grandfather of "Szlachta" anscestory his Father Wojciech Czerniejewski-indeed there were in this "Wartheland Area "Settlements of Germans from "Franken" Area so maybe came to "Mixtures" are atoptations even??Of Polish Names (unknown Reasons?)so I guess Ludwig living in Prussian Punitz at the Time fell under prussian recruitmen(or was "Volonteer!")as often happening maybe his Father got him in the Army(was not out a "poor Family"!?Maybe the felt them self more attractet to the West?-many Things I don't know-My Granddad was very quiet after the IIWW and sayed not much and I to smal to ask about..For shure he moved to Hamburg and married here in 1914 He was attractet to the See and went on Big Oceanliners after Polish Unity in 1919 (fights against Stalins/Leinins Bolschwiks looks like the Czerniejeswki Family lived In Wroclaw (german Breslau)and his Father came to visit Ludwik In Hamburg He(Ludwik )joined out unknown Reasons the Hanseatic 76.Reserve Infantrie regiment and went to France in Trench Battle there-back in November 1919 to Hamburg (I remember he got in the III Reich the Certificat of "Reichsangehoerigkeit"(Member of Germany )+(maybe for his Service & Decoration) in IWW he was Heathwise deprest (Maybe his experiences at the Front) and the Downfall of the 3.german Empire ending his Life sadly for me in 1954 in Hamburg) thats more or less I know about him-hope I found his first prussian regiment?The Photo shall be helpfull?Thanks again Jurgen