News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese sacred treasure star

kwonghwee

I've not seen many of these, but the screws on the breast star seem inconsistent with the rivets on the medallion. Of the ones I've observed, the stars have also had the rivets in the same style as the medallions. I just don't know enough about them on that hinge thing though. Of the few I've seen, they do not have that same style. If I had to hazard a guess, they may very well be authentic, but perhaps the they are not matched - maybe the breast star is a later piece, and the medallion an earlier one?

japon3001.jpg?t=1278439162

japon001.jpg

The answer is on the reverse. I have never seen seen a similar reverse. It should be heavily gilded and polished. The hook is unusual to say the least. The damage to the jewels on the obverse makes all other conditions almost inconsequential.

The screws made me think it was a later piece like the pretty commonly seen 4th, 5th, and 6ths with screws. Does that make any sense?

The screws suggest a later piece but the amount of crazing in the white enamel work suggests it was made some time ago. Even if we explain the screws the hinge attachment is still weird !

I wonder if maybe it was repaired at some point, could the reverse have been re-plated and the ring of jewels maybe reattached with screws for some reason??? I know, highly unlikely, just a thought. I wouldn't think even a more recent replica or fake would have cracked enamel...???