News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

this is a small display in did for police remeberance day a couple of years ago

this was a display I did for the Mount Gambier Police a few years ago,

from left to right South Australian police women circa 1970 this was there first ever uniform ( plain clothes before ) next up is a Tasmanian sgt (note the breast badge) circa 2000. then comes a New South Wales police women circa 1990, next to her is a chief superentendant from the Victorian police circa 2005, then comes my pride and joy a South Australian mounted policeman (trooper) circa 1905 . and last but not least a southe Australian constable circa 1960.

this is my first post I hope its not my last I had a bit of trouble downloading the pics biggrin.gif rodg

Hi - Rod. A nice display and good ref. material. Like you, I think the top one has to be the mounted officer. I expect Stuart will be interested in this pith helmet - I must draw his attention. The sword looks like the British trooper's sword - however, the last pattern was in 1899. Could you do a few pictures and for any engraving and the maker. I think you - as a new member - are restricted on the sizes of pictures, so yours have come out well. The rule may have changed - I am only a member. Look forward to seeing the extra pictures - perhaps you could do a few more of the helmet as well? Mervyn

Hi - Rod. A nice display and good ref. material. Like you, I think the top one has to be the mounted officer. I expect Stuart will be interested in this pith helmet - I must draw his attention. The sword looks like the British trooper's sword - however, the last pattern was in 1899. Could you do a few pictures and for any engraving and the maker. I think you - as a new member - are restricted on the sizes of pictures, so yours have come out well. The rule may have changed - I am only a member. Look forward to seeing the extra pictures - perhaps you could do a few more of the helmet as well? Mervyn

Thanks for the comments Mervyn the sword is the 1853 patern cavalry troopers sword, the SA mounted police also used the 1864 models ,my sword has no markings although it came from the police stores, the usual marks are a broad arrow and a rack number on the quillon,over time a number of the swords where replaced by old millitary stock, and I presume thats where mine came from.

here is a closer pic of the helmet , later when I have masterd downloading I will put some more detailed pics.

Nice display!

Did the South Australians werar a sword in the 60s?

Swords have been caried by the Mounted police throughout there 170 year history but nowadays Chris only on ceramonial occasions

Edited by rod g