News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Silver Star question, actually, 2......

Hi,

I heard....

1) In the 1 ID in WW1 a silver star citation was given to anyone who was wounded... would that mean that many 1ID Silver Stars were not for bravery, but simply a seconf goodie for being wounded?

2) That not all victory ribbon silver star citations were considered to merit a real Silver Star?

Thanks if anyone can confirm those thoughts....

Best

Chris

Those 1st Division men who were wounded were cited for "gallantry" in division orders. In 1932, when the Silver Star Medal and Purple Heart came along, the object was to replace the "Silver citation star". Anyone with a "Silver Citation star" would get a Silver Star Medal. However, there was a review process and some citations were deemed "not meriting decoration". I believe these were generally citations made below the brigade level. There must have also been some kind of appeal process, because I've seen the "not meriting decoration" stamp lined out and a Silver Star Medal awarded.

Same. Cited in orders seems to be the magic to get a SS in the 30's. I have had several groups, with SS Citations, but without the SS. I was not always sure if this was due to oversight/not caring by the vet, or a denial via orders.

I had never heard of soldiers wounded getting the SS though. The SS is a fairly distinct award even around teh Chateau Thierry timeframe. Several Marine groups I have seen containing multiple SS citations, include indivisual SS for the actions mentioned. Each citation was given for a specific act of gallentry not deserving the DSC. These were all earned in the Bealleau Wood fight also, makeing a "blanket" award to wounded Doughboys at that timeframe suspect in my mind.

1st Division General Order #1 of 1920 listed about 14,000 citations saying "For gallantry in action and especially meritorious services". The list was, in essence, the casualty roll (KIA and WIA) of the 1st Division.

2nd Division General Order 64 of 25 June 1919 listed about 2400 men "for gallantry in action against the enemy in the ___ Sector." This too azppears to be at least a partial casualty roll.

In both cases, "gallantry" was defined very loosely