News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British War Medal

Hi,

I saw one weird BWM on sale yesterday and I did a note of the naming.

First at all - medal was dipped and it was extreamly hard to see all the numbers/letters.

But still, its looked pretty long and I haven't seen anything like that before.

"647510 H.L. PHIPR. L.OK.MTE. R.N."

First number "6" can be as well actually letter "G". PHIPR first letter "P" can be as well "R".

R.N. in the end indicates Royal Navy?

Thats all what I can read out of this medal. Any ideas/help would be great. Worth to get or just ruined medal?

I checked many ways Ancestry as well without luck.

All the best,

Timo

"G" is listed in Howard Williamson's "Collector's & Researcher's Guide To The Great War"" as being used by RN - "Colombo - prefix to numbers under 1907 circular no. 82 (implememted from 1.1.08)".

His rank is Leading Cooks Mate - "L.CK.MTE", by the look of it.

Any chance the surname is actually a Sri Lankan one, fits in with the Indian etc rather than British habit of dipping medals?

Edited by leigh kitchen

I really don't like dipped medals. Just the text on the rim was interesting - Navy Cook, ah. Thanks leigh kitchencheers.gif

I think 30 euro is way too much for that, so I do not bother to get it!ninja.gif