News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lt. Heinrich Remark, 1 / 253 Inf. Regt.

I'm researching two brothers and would be grateful for any information on the following:

1. Lt. Heinrich Remark KIA 13 March 1942 in the village of Gorbatschi in Russia. He served with the 1. Jnfanterie-Regiment 253

Heinrich was awarded the EK 2 on 22 June 1940, the EK 1 on 20 August 1941 and the Infantry Assult Badge in Silver on 11 November 1941.

Two of the documents were signed by a Major Graf von Oberndorff.

2. Capt. and Battalion Surgeon Joseph Remark. I don't know if Joseph received any awards or decorations.

3. Major Graf von Oberndorff

4. 1 Jinfanterie-Regiment 253

Any and all information, leads/links or suggestions on finding out more about the brothers and what the 253 Inf. Regt. did would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

beer.gif

I'm researching two brothers and would be grateful for any information on the following:

4. 1 Jinfanterie-Regiment 253

beer.gif

In 1939 IR253 was raised in Wehrkreis VI () The First Bataillon was garrisoned in the city of Arnsberg. IR253 was part of the 34.Infanterie-Division. In October 1942 the Regiment was renamed to Grenadier-Regiment 253.

In March of 1942 the Regiment fought in the vicinity of Juchnow.

March 4, 1942: The 34. ID fought together with the 10. Infanterie-Division (mot.) on the line JUCHNOW to ROSLAWL as part of the 4. Armee (HG Mitte).

Here are some links to the 34. Infanterie-Division:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Infanteriedivisionen/34ID.htm

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=1435

Hello:

In regards to Maj. Graf v. Berndorff.

The officer concerned here is Oberstlt. d.R. Dr. Fritz Graf v. Oberndorff, Ritterkreuz awarded with date of 25 Aug.1941 as commander of A.A.34.

DoB 20 Dec.1891, DoD 27 Mar. 1970.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Hello:

In regards to Maj. Graf v. Berndorff.

The officer concerned here is Oberstlt. d.R. Dr. Fritz Graf v. Oberndorff, Ritterkreuz awarded with date of 25 Aug.1941 as commander of A.A.34.

DoB 20 Dec.1891, DoD 27 Mar. 1970.

Bernhard H. Holst

Thank you for this information. I sincerely appreciate it. Could you please tell me the best translatin of A.A. as in AA 34? Is it an intelligence unit?

Thanks again!

In 1939 IR253 was raised in Wehrkreis VI () The First Bataillon was garrisoned in the city of Arnsberg. IR253 was part of the 34.Infanterie-Division. In October 1942 the Regiment was renamed to Grenadier-Regiment 253.

In March of 1942 the Regiment fought in the vicinity of Juchnow.

March 4, 1942: The 34. ID fought together with the 10. Infanterie-Division (mot.) on the line JUCHNOW to ROSLAWL as part of the 4. Armee (HG Mitte).

Here are some links to the 34. Infanterie-Division:

http://www.lexikon-d...sionen/34ID.htm

http://www.axishisto...dex.php?id=1435

Thank you Naxos for this information. It's really helpful. I used Google Earth to luck up this area and see where the units were and it was most interesting. Thanks for the links; they're very helpful too.

All the best,

... Could you please tell me the best translatin of A.A. as in AA 34? Is it an intelligence unit?

Thanks again!

Aufklärungs-Abteilung 34 is the Reconnaissance Battalion of the 34th Infantry Division

I found a Leutnant Heinrich Remark in the German War Grave data base. However, ther is a difference in the death-date.

Leutnant der Reserve Heinrich Remark born on January 11, 1915 - died on January 2, 1945 and is buried at the War Cemetery in Mayen, Germany.

Perhaps Leutnant Remark was severly wounded in March 1942 and died in 1945 in an Army hospital in Germany

Edited by Naxos

I found a Leutnant Heinrich Remark in the German War Grave data base. However, ther is a difference in the death-date.

Leutnant der Reserve Heinrich Remark born on January 11, 1915 - died on January 2, 1945 and is buried at the War Cemetery in Mayen, Germany.

Perhaps Leutnant Remark was severly wounded in March 1942 and died in 1945 in an Army hospital in Germany

Hi Naxos,

Yes, I found the same but although the birthdate is the same, the death date is incorrect as I know for a fact from letters written by the CO to his fiance etc. that he was KIA on Friday 13 March '42 in Russia. Could it be that he was reinterred on 2 Jan. 1945? If so, was it common that to repatriate bodies? I'm thinking this may be a different Hienrich Remark because of the exceptional ability of the Germans to keep good records. What do you think? One of the letters was written by Graf von Obendorff (RK) and it confirms his death date. Any ideas towards understanding this would be greatly appreciated. By the way, how long would it take to get his official records if possible? Thanks again. You've been a great help.

Hi Naxos,

Yes, I found the same but although the birthdate is the same, the death date is incorrect as I know for a fact from letters written by the CO to his fiance etc. that he was KIA on Friday 13 March '42 in Russia. Could it be that he was reinterred on 2 Jan. 1945? If so, was it common that to repatriate bodies? I'm thinking this may be a different Hienrich Remark because of the exceptional ability of the Germans to keep good records. What do you think? One of the letters was written by Graf von Obendorff (RK) and it confirms his death date. Any ideas towards understanding this would be greatly appreciated. By the way, how long would it take to get his official records if possible? Thanks again. You've been a great help.

I'm sure that it is a clerical error - I have come across other mistakes in the data base.

If it is a relative of yours the Dienststelle in Berlin will send you the info within six month.

I'm sure that it is a clerical error - I have come across other mistakes in the data base.

If it is a relative of yours the Dienststelle in Berlin will send you the info within six month.

How long does it take if you're not a relative?

Thanks,

How long does it take if you're not a relative?

Thanks,

That leaves you at their mercy - sometimes you will get information back and other times they will refuse.

A specific question will help, it shows genuine interest and not just fishing for any information waisting their time.

Ask for clerification of time of death and grave-site.

Good luck

That leaves you at their mercy - sometimes you will get information back and other times they will refuse.

A specific question will help, it shows genuine interest and not just fishing for any information waisting their time.

Ask for clerification of time of death and grave-site.

Good luck

Thank you again. I'll do my best and for 20E, it will be a good deal if I can get some info.

Ciao,

beer.gif

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am from Germany and explore the family history of my grandfather

He was during WWII member of the AA 34.

For this reason I have all the documents concerning the 34. ID which are located at the NARA.

To the VA 34 (AA 34) was given the job to conquer the town of Gorbatschi.

3wlx-1p.jpg

The attack failed, however dramatic.

The attack took place with a total of 201 soldiers and officers.

Of these, 148 were killed .

Almost all the officers were killed, including Lt. Remark.

A short report from von Oberndorff:

3wlx-1q.jpg

The dead were buried in the town of Astapowo.

From the cemetery my grandfather made the photos I attached. One of the left crosses marks the grave of Lt. Remark.

3wlx-1m.jpg

3wlx-1n.jpg

3wlx-1o.jpg

There are more documents in existence. Because of the losses, the division commander had to report to the higher-level Army Corps.

I would be very interested in your documents concerning Lt. Remark.

Regards Soeren

Hi,

I am from Germany and explore the family history of my grandfather

He was during WWII member of the AA 34.

For this reason I have all the documents concerning the 34. ID which are located at the NARA.

To the VA 34 (AA 34) was given the job to conquer the town of Gorbatschi.

3wlx-1p.jpg

The attack failed, however dramatic.

The attack took place with a total of 201 soldiers and officers.

Of these, 148 were killed .

Almost all the officers were killed, including Lt. Remark.

A short report from von Oberndorff:

3wlx-1q.jpg

The dead were buried in the town of Astapowo.

From the cemetery my grandfather made the photos I attached. One of the left crosses marks the grave of Lt. Remark.

3wlx-1m.jpg

3wlx-1n.jpg

3wlx-1o.jpg

There are more documents in existence. Because of the losses, the division commander had to report to the higher-level Army Corps.

I would be very interested in your documents concerning Lt. Remark.

Regards Soeren

Hello Soeren,

This is most interesting and I look forward to helping you. Would you please email me or send me an email address I may write?

Thank you,

John