News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British mini medal bar

Hi all,

I obtained small British medal bar and would like to find more about the owner's career.

My understanding is that he was member of Imperial Special Police Constable Unit (SPC)? Is it correct? Was they entitled to the coronation/jubilee awards as well?

Medals on it are follows:

- Queen Victoria 60th Jubilee Medal 1897, Silver (1)

- Edward VII Coronation Medal 1902, Bronze

- George V Coronation Medal 1911

- Special Constabulary Long Service Medalwith the clasp “The Great War 1914-1918”

So guys, what you think. How common that combination would be? Also what would be the value of this mini set – I got it over trade and no idea of the price.

(1) – Is it correct that the Silver medal was Issued to members of theRoyal Household, Government ministers, senior officials, certain foreign visitors, military officers involved in the Jubilee Parade or the Naval Review at Spithead?

I do not have a doubts about the bar originality. It is not good shape, nice and shiny set, what dealers are offering! I got it more as a group, what I can use for learning restoration skills. Medals are all in good shape but the ribbons are half ripped of from the plate, one is totally separately but I can see its from the set. Also shield looks like is made from silver and shows nice period age. Set came from the antique shop, what do not normally deal with the awards (furniture, etc)

Thanks,

Timo aka Noor

159555719c04d0_o.jpg

159555732ea915_l.jpg

Naming, what naming?unsure.gif

Sorry, I don't have much experience now with this kind a combination but isn't the owner of this set was a member of Special Police Constable Unit because Special Constabulary Long Service Medal? Or how to "read" it? unsure.gif

Someone of some importance, based on the Jubilee and two coronations. Not a Volunteer, as one would expect a Volunteer Decoration or Territorial Decoration. If military, he managed to miss any active service. Probably born in the 1850s or 60s, so too old for service in the Great War, so he did his bit as a Special Constable.

If civil service it is strange he didn't get an Imperial Service Order or Medal.

Thanks guys!

I don't have much experience with British awards at all, especially this type of civil clerk combination. As I said, my first feeling was Police actuallyspeechless.gif .

Anyhow, I do not think it is messed up set because it shows age, came not from the dealer, etc. Also when I fixed some ribbons, I can see that they was attached in there before.

Edward VII Coronation Medal 1902 was only lose one and I think because that probably saw more hard times maybe and obverse is more .

If the combination is impossible or to odd to be true, hands up, in this case I must believe you guys.

I will go on Tuesday and query more, how it got to the furniture shop.

I sew ribbons again to the plate and as well tried to fix a little this SCLSM so he don't fell off.

Looks slightly better. Now I will leave it like its is - I do not want to change original ribbons or do anything else odd with that bar.

What would be the value of this set?2014.gif

15971605381c93_o.jpg

1597160745e3f7_o.jpg

Edited by Noor