News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

superintendant.harry wilderspin

Guest pikemedals

i won on ebay a pair of medals named to pc h wilderspin 1911 coronation and 1935 julilee medals for only £36.70.his father was superintendant harry wilderspin of the cambridgeshire police is was on the 1901 census. can anyone please tell me if there is an a address for cambridgeshire police archives so i can research his father thanks paulhttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2010/post-45-128069804803.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2010/post-45-128069804803.jpg

Paul

You can try http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/local_history/cambs/ but don,t hold your breath. Cambridgeshire Constabulary closed there Museum many years ago, I have no record of a Wilderspin so thanks for a new name to add to my listing of officers. I will make inquires with a friend who was the curator of the Museum to see if has any further info.

Regards Alan

Guest pikemedals

hi chaps, thanks for the help on this one. anyone need the archives for the cambridgeshire constabulary phone number is 01223 699 399.going back to pc harry wilderspin of the met joined 1909 pensioned 1935 and rejoined in ww2. he on the 1935 jubliee medal roll for the met police. over the years i seen a few 1911 coronation with the 1935 jubliee medals who officer was not on the medal roll for the 1935 jubilee medal.if anyone want a officer looked up on the 1935 jubilee medal roll jusk ask. as i printed a copy of it from the n/a at kew.i think only about a 1000 1935 jubilee medals was given to the met police.paul

Guest pikemedals

I am not 100% sure if it was only for officers on duty that day receive the medal, but I believe it is not, because in the National Archives the original Roll for the 1935 Jubilee Medal, there are correspondence letters talking about the figures of medals being issued. At the end of the day full-time officers quota for the medal was only 10% of the total force was issued with the medal. And special constabulary metropolitan police officers were issued with only 5% of the force receiving the medal.paul

Guest pikemedals

BARGAIN! :jumping:

hi robin,my top bid on the pair was 60 pounds. i went on ebay with 5 mins to go.when i won the pair for only 36 pound.thought it like the good old days.the medals came last week well happy with them.paul

• 2 weeks later...

The jubilee medal was only given to about 1200 regular Metropolitan officers. If I recall correctly the criteria for issue was length of service and all those that got one, were just about to retire. So the reality was that after about a year post issue there were not many serving officers left entitled to wear the medal (until the War Reserves of course).

• 8 months later...

i won on ebay a pair of medals named to pc h wilderspin 1911 coronation and 1935 julilee medals for only £36.70.his father was superintendant harry wilderspin of the cambridgeshire police is was on the 1901 census. can anyone please tell me if there is an a address for cambridgeshire police archives so i can research his father thanks paulhttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2010/post-45-128069804803.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2010/post-45-128069804803.jpg

Perseverance pays hope this is not to late for you, I finally had a reply from my friend as follows.

Tough one this as there are no surviving records for William Henry Wilderspin.

From what I have researched on him in the past, He was baptised on 01/09/1844, parents were James and Ann and were living in Castle Street, Cambridge in 1844.

He joined Cambridgeshire County police sometime around 1867 as a constable by 1881 he was a sergeant, on 1891 Census he is an Inspector in charge of Caxton Division, he was promoted Superintendent in or about 1892 in charge of Arrington Division, and retired on pension between 1904-1911. He died on 23/08/1929 in Cambridge. Apart from information from Census returns I have nothing else for him.

He had 2 children Ann born 1871 and Harry Hammond WILDERSPIN born 04/08/1887. Harry joined the Metropolitan Police and married in 1909, bur I have no other information on him.

• 2 weeks later...