News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I've had an interest in getting a KC badge for a while due to the association with the early WW2 Canadian Military Police.

I know the official Canadian made pieces were die struck but have been told that some were made locally in the UK at the time. I also know that these have been faked.

Didn't pay a lot for it so even if it is duff it will be OK as a temporary space filler, but I'd be interested to know if what I've got here is good or bad.

I have 2 badges in my collection that are cast like this on the backside, one in Silver and one is gold gilt. They are a better quality detail on the front than the regular brass badge. It is my understanding that these were private purchase items that officers bought themselves and wore. I have not seen a brass one like yours though. So in a nutshell, I don't beleieve mine were issued items but were worn by members. Even the deputy commissioner a couple years ago, wore a hat badge that is a private purchase made by a company in BC that is not issued. Stephen.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have "theatre-made" British Military Police badges made in India and South Africa Military Police badge made in-theatre during the campaign in North Africa. All are cast and relatively crude with mediocre quality fittings, certainly nowhere like the quality of officially manufactured die struck badges.

So, assuming that what I have read about a limited number of RCMP badges being made locally (in England)for No.1 Provost Company (RCMP)are correct then I'd expect these badges to be better than the cruder "in-theatre" badges but not so well made as the official Canadian made die struck pieces.

Love to see a verified example of one of these for comparison.

Anyhow, this one wasn't expensive so I'll be happy to have it for now as a space-filler with a question mark over it.

• 1 month later...

Gordon:

All your pictures look authentic issue. The lugs often broke off or were removed by members who used them on plaques and such items. Some of the badges without lugs were re-acquired and members repaired them. Generally it would be nicer to have one with original lugs but nonetheless it is still a fine item. I hope this helps.

Gordon:

All your pictures look authentic issue. The lugs often broke off or were removed by members who used them on plaques and such items. Some of the badges without lugs were re-acquired and members repaired them. Generally it would be nicer to have one with original lugs but nonetheless it is still a fine item. I hope this helps.

It does indeed ! Many thanks, its good to know I may have two good examples. I believe that these were worn on cloth backing patches and that both the original regulation dark blue and also red may have been used by MPs, so I can have an example of each.