News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

These are examples of three good truncheons. From the left - a William 1Vth. (1830-37) - with the red painted end, very possibly for an early railway, although there is no naming. Before signalling was invented for the railways, the early police were positioned on bends etc., to give warning to the train diver - they did this with the red painted truncheon.

The second one is for the City of Liverpool and has the name in the cartouche or, shield. Above the Crown is the figure 1 st. - when Queen Victoria came to the Throne in 1837, they followed custom and named her the 1st. However, by about 1841/2 they realised that she was the only Monarch of that name and so, dropped the number. This allows us to date quite accurately.

The 3rd. truncheon - I have put on for Leigh ..... It is in fact the Parish Constable for Leigh in Wiltshire and would date to the early part of the 19th. Century.

Since I have been a member of GMIC , I have tried to show various examples - they are all different and unique in their own way. Research for my book showed that there are probably fewer then 12,000 in existance - not really very many when you consider how important they were. The heraldically painted details on each truncheon were the Constable's Warrant - or, in modern terms, I.D. - the Crown showing that his authority came directly from the King (or, Queen). Prior to 1829 there was no uniform, so without the truncheon he could not perform his duties.

I still have a number of different styles of truncheons and will post them gradually. I am holding back on Metropolitan Police until Nick makes a decision on the new Forum.

Ian - this one is the one in Wiltshire. Note the better paint - they pay higher rates and taxes..............

Chris - it would be difficult - but, possible. Ian has over two hundred truncheons , plus some lovely tipstaffs. Usually, new collectors will invest a considerable sum to acquire the nucleus of a collection - many of mine went in this way, and indeed it still continues today.

The subject of selling collections was raised recently on the Lounge and I fully agreed with the difficulty of selling. You never forget where you bought the really special items - they become part of you.. However, age is no respecter of collectors and so, now the decision has been made to let other people have the 'fun' of collecting.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian - this one is the one in Wiltshire. Note the better paint - they pay higher rates and taxes..............

Chris - it would be difficult - but, possible. Ian has over two hundred truncheons , plus some lovely tipstaffs. Usually, new collectors will invest a considerable sum to acquire the nucleus of a collection - many of mine went in this way, and indeed it still continues today.

The subject of selling collections was raised recently on the Lounge and I fully agreed with the difficulty of selling. You never forget where you bought the really special items - they become part of you.. However, age is no respecter of collectors and so, now the decision has been made to let other people have the 'fun' of collecting.

Mervn, they may have paid higher taxes but they needed more truncheons in the unruly north Ian