News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1723 - GEORGE 1ST. SILVER COIN

I bought this coin recently - not because I think it has any value, but rather for all the detail and the fair condition for it's age. From the loop on top it has been used as a pendant, whilst the purists will say that lowers the value - to me, it shows it has been a loved item !

The inscription around the Head reads (please correct me if I am wrong) : Georgius DG (Deo Gratia - By the Grace of God) M - (Monarch) BR (Britain)FR (France) ET ( ? Thuringia , bearing the German origins), HIB (Ireland) REX (King) FD (Fidelis Defendere - Defender of the Faith, a title awarded by the Pope to King Henry 8th.

The reverse is a little more difficult. The date of 1723 is clear , however, no value - but I suspect a Florin (2/- piece).

The Arms of Hanover are on the right. At bottom - combined arms for England and Scotland. Left; The Fleur de Lis - we still laid claim to France until 1802. At the top, The Arms for Ireland. The Garter symbol appears to be in the middle. I am not at all sure about the Latin - Dux is usually a Military Leader - and later came to mean a Duke. George 1st - before being invited to take the British Throne, was the Elector of Hanover -this later became a Kingdom and we maintained the claim until 1835 when our Arms changed to the current ones.

Really, a short history lesson in one small coin. Please tell me where I've gone wrong ?

Hi Mervyn... nice find! Not in bad condition at all and I love the way they did the loop on top... much nicer than just a plain circular loop. Only wish I could find some earlier English silver coins like that over here. I keep my eye on Ebay but they always seem to go up. I especially love Crowns... I have three or four Victorian ones from her later years, and one George IV if I remember correctly but it's extremely worn. But I continue to keep my eyes open. I managed to get a small silver from Elizabeth I but it's really been there, done that... but the best I could afford. The old hammered silvers are grabbed up at insane prices (at least to me) even when they're not in the greatest condition. Oh how I'd love to be able to go over and metal detect as they find them over there all the time.

But really think you did good on this one. I don't generally like to see coins made into jewelry but this one is really well done and is one I'd be honored to have if it was in my collection. She's a beaut! jumping.gifjumping.giflove.gifbeer.gif

Dancheers.gif