News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nordic Medal or Fantasy Piece ?

Greetings Everybody.

I recently bought a curious medal on an on-line auction in either Denmark, Sweden, or Norway - I do not remember. It resembles some type of military medal, or possibly some association medal, or is it just a fantasy piece. I really do not know. If you have any thoughts, please let me know.

I did not attached a low resolution medal on this post because I ried everything to reduce it size, but never made it. But I have high-resolution photos on PhotoBucket, if you follow this link:

http://s752.photobuc...antasy%20Medal/

Any information would be useful.

Thank you. Linas

In my opinion, it looks like the crown held some coloured stones at some stage,

looking at the poor definition and manufacture in what appears to be pot metal

I would go for some type of costume jewelry.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Thanks Kevin with your input. Not to offend, but I hope you are incorrect. I'm not into costume jewelry. But if that's what it is, than so be it.

Do you think it is from a Nordic country? Any ideas?

Also, when you say "manufacture in what appears to be pot metal" - what do you mean? I am not familiar with this?

Please let me know Kevin.

Thanks. Linas

Thanks Kevin with your input. Not to offend, but I hope you are incorrect. I'm not into costume jewelry. But if that's what it is, than so be it.

Do you think it is from a Nordic country? Any ideas?

Also, when you say "manufacture in what appears to be pot metal" - what do you mean? I am not familiar with this?

Please let me know Kevin.

Thanks. Linas

Well you did ask, so here goes.

Nothing in it says anything specifically Nordic to me, lets see you have an obvious Cross, so a reference to Christianity, as could the St.Andrews Cross shape in between the arms of the main cross, A 4 pointed Star shape that could indicate the points of a Compass, I see what could be considered to be moon shapes on the arms of the cross or stylized letter "C",

A twist of rope in a circle,with the same twist under the crown, there appears to be no "claws" to hold the stones of the crown in place so set in with some type of glue would indicate stones or glass (low value).

The dimensions of the Arms of the Cross are poorly formed and not all matching, the workmanship is rather sloppy particularly the upper left arm of the St. Andrews Cross.

The semi-circle on the top arm of the cross is off center as well.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

By pot metal I mean a combination of cheap alloys from Aluminum / lead / zink type mixtures, it looks to have been cast then filed to clean off the flash and to add some details.

It does not look to be of real silver, and carries no hallmarks or maker-marks from what I can see.

Can you give us an indication of size?

Kevin in Deva. :beer: