News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British War Medal - MGC

Hi,

Here is my new British War Medal - 154900 PTE A.H.BARNETT M.G.C.

16190351a7450e_l.jpg

So, I did search on ancestry and got his MIC:

162081996df833_l.jpg

As far I information what I have:

Name: Arthur H. Barnett

Unit: Machine Gun Corps

MMG - Motorised Machine Gun

B4 - Egypt area ???????

Awards:

- Victory Medal

- British War Medal

He must be entered to the war after 1915 I presume, because lack of 1914-1915 Star?

Also I haven'd had lack to locate his service record or any other info on Ancestry.co.uk

Any advise/help would be great.

Thanks,

Timo aka Noor

Timo,

Here's a list of the theatres of war http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/theatres.htm

I believe MMG/103 B4 gives reference to his entry into the medal rolls. It's a shame that 9 out 10 (if not all) MICs after 1915 didn't state the date or theatre entered.

Tony

Thanks Tony for the link and info!cheers.gif

Sorry my bad English but B4 end of the entry is just a part of the awarding role index or "my guy" was in Egypt (B4 - from 18/19 March 1916)?2014.gif

Thanks again,

Timo

Thanks Tony for the link and info!cheers.gif

Sorry my bad English but B4 end of the entry is just a part of the awarding role index or "my guy" was in Egypt (B4 - from 18/19 March 1916)?2014.gif

Thanks again,

Timo

Timo,

Your English is better than many who were born in England.

The theatre entry is always on the bottom left of the MIC so I'm afraid it must refer to the medal roll. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can prove me wrong.

Tony

I'm afraid Tony is right. An interesting medal nonetheless, as the roll number shows that he served with the Motor Machine Gun Section, Royal Artillery.

If you can get a researcher to check the medal rolls at the National Archives at Kew, they should tell you which Battery he was attached to, and from there you can find out his theatre.

An interesting medal nonetheless, as the roll number shows that he served with the Motor Machine Gun Section, Royal Artillery.

I never knew that Michael.

A medal well worth the research and a check in the war diary if a researcher comes up with any dates.

Tony