News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Field writing case

This photo depicts a piece of field kit used by the actor Peter O'Toole in the movie "Lawrence of Arabia." An enquiry to the (British) National Army Museum resulted in a letter stating that--in their opinion--it was a "writing case" that was "not an item of military issue equipment. Officers usually purchased their own equipment according to taste and need."

Has anyone ever seen one of these items, or seen one for sale?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello - Setpoint. Welcome to GMIC. Quite a strange request with the illustration from an old film. These portable desks were known as 'Writing Slopes'. One side was made as a lift-up top and this sloped to allow writing. When the lid was lifted there would be different compartments to hold pens, paper, stamps etc.. There was often a lower compartment to hold files and - invariably - there would be one or, two secret compartments for gold and valuables.

They were very common and are today collectable. Value will depend on the degree of finish and the condition. You were advised correctly - they would have been private purchase for an officer - most items of equipment were.

Was there a reason for your enquiry - are you thinking of buying one - or, is it an interest in Lawrence ? He is buried in Wareham Parish Church , near to my home in England. A very strange man - he was killed on his m/cycles just outside of Wareham.

He is buried in Wareham Parish Church , near to my home in England. A very strange man - he was killed on his m/cycles just outside of Wareham.

I thought he was buried in St. Pauls or is that just a memorial?????

Mike

Hi - Mike. I think it must be a memorial stone. I've visited the Church and I'm pretty sure it is his grave. If you remember he ran away after 1918 and joined the RAF as an ordinary rank and with an assumed name. He had a very powerful motor cycle - if memory serves, I think it was a Brough Superior - and returning to camp one evening he lost control and was killed. Perhaps ' the man for the times' as they say - however, he was hated by the regular officers and from his strange behaviour after the war, obviously had some psychotic troubles.

Hello - Setpoint. Welcome to GMIC. Quite a strange request with the illustration from an old film. These portable desks were known as 'Writing Slopes'. One side was made as a lift-up top and this sloped to allow writing. When the lid was lifted there would be different compartments to hold pens, paper, stamps etc.. There was often a lower compartment to hold files and - invariably - there would be one or, two secret compartments for gold and valuables.

They were very common and are today collectable. Value will depend on the degree of finish and the condition. You were advised correctly - they would have been private purchase for an officer - most items of equipment were.

Was there a reason for your enquiry - are you thinking of buying one - or, is it an interest in Lawrence ? He is buried in Wareham Parish Church , near to my home in England. A very strange man - he was killed on his m/cycles just outside of Wareham.

Mervyn-

Thanks for the helpful information. "Writing Slopes" is a useful key-word phrase to search with. I am thinking of buying one someday. That is separate from my sometime interest in Lawrence. He must have been very depressed post-war, when his beloved Arabs were double-crossed (in his eyes) by England and France as they carved up the Middle East for their empires, and because he could no longer range freely, solo, in exotic lands and use his gifts. He also may have had some long-simmering PTSD from the war. I have to read his "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" sometime, and get an edition that doesn't have too many bits deleted, as happened to some other editions.

Setpoint - writing slopes would be the words to enter. Also, look at some of the on-line auction catalogues - they come-up regularly, however, as I said condition dictates the price. I would think stg. 100-150 ($160-230) should get you a nice one. Look for the secret drawers - sometimes they are intact - but, not often.

I don't think I remember a post on GMIC for Lawrence - perhaps you could make it a project ? However, I will be critical of him - I have never had much time for his 'thirst for glory' - smacked a little too much of the Boy's comics of the day....

Setpoint - writing slopes would be the words to enter. Also, look at some of the on-line auction catalogues - they come-up regularly, however, as I said condition dictates the price. I would think stg. 100-150 ($160-230) should get you a nice one. Look for the secret drawers - sometimes they are intact - but, not often.

I don't think I remember a post on GMIC for Lawrence - perhaps you could make it a project ? However, I will be critical of him - I have never had much time for his 'thirst for glory' - smacked a little too much of the Boy's comics of the day....

Yes, he was brilliant but flawed. I wonder if collectors have ever found anything interesting in the secret drawers.

I used to have a copy of his autobiography of his time in the R.A.F. as "Aircraftman Shaw" - The Mint..

I sensed a relief at not having responsibility. He had a bit of a rough time with the medical:

The M.O. looked at his scarred back (the thrashing at Dera'a):

"What are these from, punishment?"

"You might say persuasion, Sir."

Edited by Michael Johnson