News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Collar Rank Insignia

• 2 weeks later...

Dear I'm very muc interested on the collar rank insignias of British army...............Can anyone help me about the collar rank insignia of British Army???????

Shams

You may want to take a look at this website.

http://www.army.mod.uk/structure/3696.aspx

Best,

Hugh

Hello Shams,

Rank insignia is not worn on the collar in the British Army, but on the sleeves by Other Ranks and on the shoulder by officers.

CB

I could be mistaken, but I believe he's speaking historically. At one time British officer's wore their rank insignia on the collar of their uniforms. I believe it was in the 1850's, but I'm not certain.

Mike Dwyer, you are right. I want to know about the historical rank insignia's of British army which was worn on collar. Its period was from 1855 to 1880. After 1880, British Officers worn rank on shoulder. From 1855 to 1900, British Officers rank insignia's also distinguished by cuff, skirt and collar design. I want to see the images of collar, cuff rank insignia's of British army from 1855 to 1880.

Regards

Shams

Great, Laurence! I think that's exactly what's needed. :cheers:

Thanks a lot Laurence...........

But it is only Infantry Officers rank insignia....Can you give me the link of Cavalry officers

Shams

Edited by sbintayab

• 4 months later...

Collar insignia for officers first appeared in 1855 on tunics that replaced the coatees worn previously. The army used a combination of crowns and stars in silver wire work together with collar lace trim to denote rank.

I have enclosed photos of the first single breasted tunic ( after the withdrawal of the coatee ) in 1865. This is ranked as a Captain with a single gold lace band to the collar and one star and castle.

The same combination of one star and castle with two collar laces one at the top and one at the bottom of the collar denoted a Colonel.

post-11313-034251300 1294421317_thumb.jp

post-11313-020993800 1294421337_thumb.jp

post-11313-081037400 1294421356_thumb.jp

Brian - welcome to the Forum. I was interested to see the first pattern Infantry tunic - the Metropolitan Police also changed from the swallow tailed coatee at about the same time. They followed the current German pattern - and as with your example, the first ones were longer in the body. The next modifications shortened the tunic to about the present style.

The Police had always worn their numbers on the raised collar - which in itself was a remainder from the period when the cult of 'Thuggees' had spread from India. The 'Thugs' would throw a silk handkerchief - with a heavy object tied at one end - around the throat of the victim and then strangle him. The first Police in 1829 had a 4" stock in leather (10cm) to prevent this. With the new tunic the numbers continued on the collar - but officers followed the Army style and had their ranks also on the collars.

• 2 weeks later...