News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does anybody have this medal for bravery?

Great Dane

I'm researching a Danish medal given to an Imperial Russian regiment.

The Danish King Christian IX (1863-1906) was an honourary colonel in the Russian dragoon regiment 'Seversk' (probably due to his family relation with the Czar's wife). In 1879 he awarded a medal for bravery to the regiment for it's participation in the Russian-Turkish war 1877-78.

The medal was only awarded on this one occasion. It was awarded in gold for officers and in silver for others.

It is a small medal - 22.5mm (7/8 inch). The obverse shows the King's uncrowned head surrounded by the text "Christian IX Konge af Danmark" and the reverse the text "For tapperhed" (for bravery) inside a wreath of laurel leaves. The gold medal is worn from a white ribbon with thin red edges - the silver medal is worn from a red ribbon with a white middle stripe and a white horizontal stripe.

My problem is that the only picture of this medal I know of, is of a specimen for the Mint cabinet which is without the ribbon and the suspension. So what did the suspension look like?

Does anybody of you have pictures of this medal or of soldiers wearing the medal etc.?

Or does anybody even have this medal in your collection?

Any help on this matter is highly appreciated.

/Mike

George,

Thanks for checking. I have searched high and low for info about this medal, but has come up with nothing.

The medal was struck and brought to Russia without the Danish Government's knowledge, because they would most certainly have stopped it for political reasons. Therefore there are no official records of it back here in Denmark.

I will try in the International section.

/Mike