News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Invisible Olympics SS Bicyclist From Schwarzburg

I am not sure where to post this for Rick, but since it involves Imperial I thought I would post it here.

Here is a curious story of a former Imperial cavalry Captain, athletics/business director and recipient of the top 1936 Olympics award for merit in the organization of the Nazi Games who was too “shy” to publicly admit his SS membership—at that time!

Franz Ohrtmann was born 2 February 1894 in Sondershausen, son of Geheimer Kommerzien Rat Franz Ohrtmann and Helene née Krienitz.

Note that his 1935 “Wer Ist’s?” entry shows his birth date, retired military rank, and awards.

In doing something else entirely—as is often the case with research—I fell across the memory-bells-ringing combination of his WW1 award from Schwarzburg and that of his 1936 Olympics decoration, since I’ve been helping with the multiple Nazi lists.

But first to his career in the Prussian army 1911 to 1919—

Originally in Kürassier Regiment 8

Leutnant 19 August 1911 G3g (vorpatentiert late 1913 as an Abitur holder)

Oberleutnant 5 October 1916 H4h

Charakterisiert Rittmeister aD circa 1920

The 1914 Rank List and 1919 Seniority List show his promotions in the cavalry. There was no other regular officer with his name and rank. As usual, no first name in the Prussian sources, but that has been confirmed elsewhere.

As confirmed by his entry in the 1914-1918 Honor Rank List, Ohrtmann served as second General Staff officer of the 15th Reserve Division at war’s end.

That agrees with his Who’s Who entry details.

World War One awards = Iron Crosses 2nd and 1st Classes, Schwarzburg-Sondershausen Honor Cross 3rd Class with Swords (SEK3X) bestowed on 6 December 1914 (and confirming his first name), 1918 Black Wound Badge.

Translating the details of his 1935 Who’s Who entry--

1919-1922 in banking

1920-1924 Leader of the Berlin Sports Palace (Leiter Berliner Sportpalast)

1924-25 Leader of the Society of the Motor Industry (Leiter Gesellschaft für Motorenindustrie)

1925 on Board of Directors of (Vorstand) Westfallenhalle A.G.

1933- August 1935 Leader of the Specialty Group (Führer Fachsäule) XII German Bicycle Association (Deutsche Radfahrverband)

1935 to at least 1937 General Director (Generaldirektor) Deutschland-Halle A.G. in Berlin

1935 home address Königsweg 50, Berlin-Charlottenburg

SIMULTANEOUSLY, however—and note that his 1935 “Who’s Who?” entry makes no mention of his SS membership—

Entries from the 1935 and 1944 SS Seniority Lists paint a different career picture:

NSDAP Member # 3,576,768

SS Member # 250,108

SS Untersturmführer 15 May 1935

SS Obersturmführer 13 September 1936

SS Hauptsturmführer 12 September 1937

SS Sturmbannführer

SS Obersturmbannführer 1 November 1943 (in rank on 1 October 1944) on Staff of SS Oberabscnitt Spree

2 November 1936 received the 1936 Olympics Decoration 1st Class (neck cross—1 of 767 awarded) as

“General Director, Berlin.”

SS Seniority lists of 1937 and 1944 confirm his first name, date of birth, and WW1 awards. From those

sources ALONE, he would have appeared to have been a “simple” full time SS officer—obviously NOT the case! He was holder of the SS Honor Ring, SA Sports Badge in bronze, and was a member of the Lebensborn.

During the Second World War (as of October 1944) he was a Wehrmacht—presumably army cavalry—Oberstleutnant der Reserve, and had received War Merit Crosses with Swords in 2nd and 1st Classes.

So, once again, here is an example of how important it is to accumulate—and share—the widest possible assortment of period sources because

You Never Know What Might Turn Up!

Sources:

1914 Prussia/Württemberg Army Rank List

1919 Prussian Army Seniority List

1914-1918 Army Honor Rank List (1926)

1935 German edition of Who’s Who—“Wer Ist’s?”

SS Seniority Lists 1935, 1937, 1944

Unpublished Award Roll Schwarzburg Honor Crosses 3rd Class with Swords 1914-1918

Unpublished Award List of 1936 Olympics Decorations 1st Class

My thanks to Paul for posting this—which I hope is of some curious interest. Rick Research