News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Badge Identification

A recent arrival to the collection, basically bought on a hunch (the price was right). I believe it to be a MOHOSZ military badge of some sort. The reasons are:

- the prongs are arranged vertically, indicating a uniform badge rather than a cap badge.

- the long handled hammer crossed with a weapon would indicate MOHOSZ, MHS or MHSZ.

- the arrangement of the national colours at the base is virtually identical to the way they are on a Rakosi era seal and armed forces cap badge, bringing me to the conclusion that the badge is MOHOSZ. Also, the design of the badge mimics the design of military qualification badges of that time.

Now, what was the badge given for?

This is the Hungarian Freedom Fighters Association Magyar Szabadsagharcos Szovetseg Second type badge. I believe this was instituted in 1949 / 1950 (If I recall correctly) Basicly this was a Party organization that was started to recognize Party members within the Hungarian Honved - when "political" affiliation was forbidden in the Honved under the Tildy government. After Rakosi and the party took over they went to the more overtly Party type symbolism. This is hard to say if this is a cap badge or a badge worn on the tunic. See page 29 of Elvtars to see what the first pattern badge was...

This is the Hungarian Freedom Fighters Association Magyar Szabadsagharcos Szovetseg Second type badge. I believe this was instituted in 1949 / 1950 (If I recall correctly) Basicly this was a Party organization that was started to recognize Party members within the Hungarian Honved - when "political" affiliation was forbidden in the Honved under the Tildy government. After Rakosi and the party took over they went to the more overtly Party type symbolism. This is hard to say if this is a cap badge or a badge worn on the tunic. See page 29 of Elvtars to see what the first pattern badge was...

Thank you for the great information:

Lorenzo

Yes this is a MSZHSZ badge

- no....

This is the Rakosi era pattern of the badge. The first type (as seen on the uniform in the book) was from 1948 then sometime after August 20th 1949 this type of badge was used.

Edited by hunyadi

Here is the medal that was given out at the 2nd MSZHSZ congrees - apparently 1951 with the new design - this is the silver grade of the medal there was also a bronze award as well - have not encountered a gold version - but perhaps there was - however NO documentation only leads to speculation as to what or why they were even awarded - excpet probably "I was there" medal???

Edited by hunyadi

Gents,

This is a strange and pretty mysterious medal, I have to say. It was issued by the MSZHSZ to honor the second party congress. Party here means the communist party which was called MDP (Magyar Dolgozók Pártja - Party of Hungarian Workers) at that time. The 2nd congress had its sessions between 25th February and 2nd March 1951. The purpose of the medals are clear. Months before the party congress, during the preparation process, party members had to make pledges, special offers, like these: to higher the production, or to lower the refuse, etc. These medals served as a certain kind of reward, as an acknowledgement of the results. Here is the picture of the bronze grade, and, here is a mysterious ribbon too, which is simply a fathomless puzzle for me already for several decades.

Regards,

cimbineus

image-9608_4C83E5B6.jpg

Well - I am happy that you are just as confused on these as I am - I have encountered both the red ribbon and the "multi-colored" ribbon - as to why or whatfor - still it does not make much sense. How did you know it was for pledges to the Party - was there a news article or something? I never found anyone who had any answers or any documentation on these. :unsure: