News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cuff and Collar design of British Yeomanry

Dear Shams,

I only have a little information on the Shropshire Yeomanry and here it is -

"Uniform - Officer: Dragoon helmet, white over scarlet plume. Dragoon tunic with scarlet collar, cuffs and piping, laced and braided gold, special cuff ornamentation (that really helps). Gold laced pouch belt and slings. Overalls blue with broad scarlet stripe. White gauntlet gloves."

I have a mess uniform to the Lothian & Berwick's and it is of the Dragoon pattern.

You certainly have eclectic tastes and difficult ones to track down at that sad.gif

Stuart

Ok dear no problem............

In this drawing, officer is Lieutenant Colonel in rank.......Can you help me on the design of Cuff and collar of Captain and Lieutenant.........

Shams

Edited by sbintayab

The illustration is of the Earl of Kilmorney, Honorary Colonel, 1897. From the description of the uniform, in the book, it is not clear whether the cuff and collar differed from the one illustrated to officers of lower ranks.

Sorry, Shams, but I don't have any more information. You could contact the Regimental museum who should be able to help.

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Stuart

Take my regards..........I have sent mail to several yeomanry museum about the cuff design of officers of the regiment in Victorian era..........But none can give me answer...............Do you have any image or books related to this...........

Regards

Shams

Dear Shams,

here are a couple of books of illustrations which may help -

1. Uniforms of the Yeomanry Regiments 1783-1911 by P.H. Smitherman
    2. 50 Years of Yeomanry Uniforms by R.G. Harris
    3. There is also a series of booklets The Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force 1794-1914 by various authors and published by The Ogilby Trust .The one on the Staffordshire Yeomanry is ISBN 0-9515714-6-X or 9780951571460
    4. You may find Yeomanry Wars by Peter D. Athawes useful but it is not a uniform book
    Stuart

Hi - Shams. I can't really help you with some of the info. you require - and it does seem members have it at their 'fingertips'. However, please satisfy my curiosity - what do you need so much information for - are you writing a book on British Regts. who served in India ? Anyway best wishes and keep 'chasing' Stuart .....

Dear Mitton,

Thanks...........I didn't chase Stuart..............I don't write books on British regiments............I'm very much interested on the uniforms of the army of British empire in 1900...........I have just asking everyone to know about the uniforms..............Stuart always helps me lot.............I give him my special thanks...............

Regards

Shams