News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A week ago I bought a de-humidifier. Not really sure why because I never thought that humidity was a problem where I live.

However, it has been a wet winter and I thought why not? Well having had the de-humidifier on and off for 5 or 6 days now I was astonished at the amount of water that it had extracted in that short time - at least 2-3 litres, I should have measured it, I know.

My unit doesn't keep the humidity at a constant level - perhaps I should have bought one that did. Does anyone have recommendations as to what the humidity range should be in a collection room? I have heard 40% but I have no idea what is apposite.

Stuart

Hi - Stuart. I have used a de-humidifier for years and as you say it is amazing how much water it extracts. Truncheons - being old wood, dry out and crack so the machine does have a use. The flat also used to have a lot of static electricity - could give a nasty shock. For the dry months I had a machine to add humidity. You can buy a humidity gauge and I try to keep at about 60 %. You may find your cloth covered helmets need to be below this - trial and error.

I've used a dehumidifier for several years and just keep it as dry as possible with no gauge. IN summer the thing runs 24/7 but the winters here are dryer so it runs once in a while. I do believe a gauge would be a good idea and may look into one as well.

Regards

Brian

• 4 months later...

Thanks Dieter. My de-humidifier does not seem capable of getting below the 50% mark.

I shall have to investigate further.

Stuart

Something else worth looking into, but perhaps hard to control to fine degree, is temperature - and it's relationship to RH. Could be very helpful for you to determine the best way to maintain a collection within your circumstances.