News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian Crossed Sword Devices

Tim B

Were there any differences in the sword devices used on the various Austrian awards?

I assume, like many other countries, these ribbon-type attachments and actual awards were manufactured from various sources and will have slight detail differences.

Here's a couple different examples of the swords I have on two Officer Military Merit Medals (Signum Laudis). I have seen both types before on different awards and often wondered if some styles were meant to be specific to certain awards? Are there other styles as well?

Tim cheers.gif

Plain hilt/crossguard version:

Edited by Tim B

Hello Tim,

I have a couple like your first example but the differences look to be only in the manufacturing process.

One that I do have that is a different style is pictured below.

As you can see one side of the guard of each sword is over the blade of the other. I would say this is a different style from the two you have posted.

I look forward to seeing what the other members will come up with.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian!

Yes, another good example! beer.gif

Actually, I never noticed the difference between yours and the one very similar that I show. Same general details, only the overlap on the swords.

Thanks for posting my friend!

Tim

Been a few days and thought I might throw the hook out again.2014.gif

Anyone have a different variation from the three already shown? Or, are these the only versions we should see on Austrian awards?

Any thoughts about why the different versions other than what Brian and I have already assumed?

Tim cheers.gif