News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HELP Police force identity

HI

Wondering if anyone could identify which force from the attached photo - I'm guessing 'The Met' ?

Helmet Plate reads J261

Also, if there is a way of finding a name / history / service record for the officer

Message reads 'To Frank, Merry Xmas 1928'

Frank being my grandfather Frank Rose b 1899 Bromley / Beckenham

Regards

Rob Rose

post-10608-099751600 1286910453_thumb.jp

Edited by Rob Rose

Hey Rob.

Yep, Met alright.

J Division is Bethnal Green.

Do a google search on 'The friends of the Met police'. They will be able to help you find service records.

Monty

:)

Edited by Monty

Hello - Rob. Welcome to GMIC. Are you 'Job' - or, just have an interest? I was interested to see your photo - as Monty said in those days it was Bethnal Green - now it is 'H' Division and I served there for 7 years. 'J' Div. is now Hackney.

The Helmet Plates that had the officer's number and Div. are now very collectable. For some reason you don't see so many photos showing them in greatcoats - the belt has long been discontinued. I hope we hear more from you. Mervyn

p.s. - I've just noticed how the whistle is fixed - the style changed for this as well.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hello Mervyn

Just interested in finding out about PC Rose J 261 - I assume his surname is Rose - by no means certain.

He looks very young, probably taken when he joined the force ?

All I know is the photo, which was sent to my grandfather Frank Rose in 1928 ...... (he would have been living in Cardiff at the time)

My grandfather & / siblings were from Lewisham / Bromley / Beckenham

Regards

Rob

Yes Mervyn,

I noticed the way the Whistle was fixed. Very loose.

Hi Rob,

Some forces took photos of new boys for their records. Manchester, Portsmouth and I believe the City of London Forces did, as did the Met.

LMA may also be an option.

If you are interested in the joining up procedure, regulations etc, drop me a line.

Monty

:)

Edited by Monty

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen

Mystery solved

The photo is of : P C Henry Ulric Rose b 1906 Nottingham (living in 1911 Beckenham / Bromley, Kent)

Appointed 22 Oct 1928 - Warrant No. 117918 - J Division Bethnal Green

http://www.flickr.co...57619598686347/ (photo record of joining date)

It has been suggested the Helmet is a 'Met Police Night Helmet' ?

Another suggestion was that he may have been Ministry of Defence Police, in that period it was probally a sub division of the Met. ?

Thanks again

Rob

The Metropolitan Police had responsibility for Dockyards until 1923 when the Admiralty Constabulary were formed, the Ministry of Defence Police were not formed until the 1970s. He may have worked a Dockyard in his service but the uniform above is Metropoitan Police J Division.