News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kr.Frw. Kanonier Emanuel Stern's EKII Award Document

Hi all,

Below is the award document I have for when my grandfather, Emanuel Stern, from when he received his EKII. The ink is very light, as you can see, and I was hoping someone had some suggestions regarding ways to darken the text so it can be properly read?

Of course, if you can translate what it says in its present form I would be immensely grateful. He was wounded twice (once on the Eastern Front near Maniewicze, Russia and once at Verdun), so I am not sure if he got this for the first or second time, or perhaps both.

GreatWarDocument-InteriorPage1.jpg

Lastly, are documents like this rare? If you have any questions for me please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Edited by ph0ebus

Hi Daniel, very nice document!

The text reads:

Clev. Feld-Artillerie Regiment Nr.43

Vorläufiger Ausweis über den Besitz des Eisernen Kreuzes

Dem Kriegsfreiwilligen Kanonier Emanuel Stern - 9. Batterie - geboren am 7. Dezember 1895 zu Fulda, Kreis Fulda wurde, unter dem 19. April 1917 im Namen Seiner Majestät, das Eiserne Kreuz II. Klasse verliehen. Das Besitzzeugnis über die Auszeichnung wird nach der Demobilmachung durch die königliche General Ordenskommission ausgefertigt werden.

Im Felde, den 23. April 1917

Signed by the commander Major von Slessmann (or Herrmann)

Edited by Naxos

Hi Daniel, very nice document!

The text reads:

Clev. Feld-Artillerie Regiment Nr.43

Vorläufiger Ausweis über den Besitz des Eisernen Kreuzes

Dem Kriegsfreiwilligen Kanonier Emanuel Stern - 9. Batterie - geboren am 7. Dezember 1895 zu Fulda, Kreis Fulda wurde, unter dem 19. April 1917 im Namen Seiner Majestät, das Eiserne Kreuz II. Klasse verliehen. Das Besitzzeugnis über die Auszeichnung wird nach der Demobilmachung durch die königliche General Ordenskommission ausgefertigt werden.

Im Felde, den 23. April 1917

Signed by the commander Major von Slessmann (or Herrmann)

Translation:

War-volunteer Gunner Emanuel Stern of the 9th Battery (Field-Artillery Regimet 43) – born on Dec. 7, 1895 in Fulda, County of Fulda was awarded, in the name of his Majesty on April 19, 1917, the Iron Cross second class. The official Award Document will be given by the Royal-General- Award-Commission after the de-mobilization of the Army.

In the Field April 23, 1917

Edited by Naxos

Hi Naxos,

Thanks so much for the transcription and translation! So, what would the 'official' document look like? I am pretty sure I don't have that but you never know...there are a few papers of his that are in German that I do not know what they say...yet.

-Daniel

PS: his actual EKII disappeared at some point, so all I have is this document and a few pictures of him wearing the ribbon on his uniform...that's it.

Hi Naxos,

Thanks so much for the transcription and translation! So, what would the 'official' document look like? I am pretty sure I don't have that but you never know...there are a few papers of his that are in German that I do not know what they say...yet.

-Daniel

PS: his actual EKII disappeared at some point, so all I have is this document and a few pictures of him wearing the ribbon on his uniform...that's it.

Daniel, he never received the official award document. The temporary award document above is all he ever had.

The war ended as you know in a German Surrender with the majesty the Kaiser und König gone into exile and no more Royal-General-Award-Commission in place to hand out permanent award certificates.

The picture and document is better to have then the Iron Cross itself - you can always acquire a replacement cross to display with the document and picture.

Edited by Naxos

Hi Naxos,

That makes sense. I have been wavering on the fence about getting a replacement cross, and may end up getting one at some point. I would also love to know more about the man who signed this document, and what became of him. Would he be in the Rangeliste? If so I would have to head on over to the library to check it.

-Daniel

Hi all,

One quick follow-up question...was the wording of this document following a standardized format, or was there variation in the wording between documents or between units? Just trying to get a clear understanding of what I have...

Thanks,

-Daniel

Daniel; our resident EK document expert - Chris Boonzaier - is traveling right now. When he returns, I'm sure he can give you more information regarding your document. In the meantime, have you checked-out his site on EK's: www.kaiserscross.com

By the way, as an Imperial German artillery collector, I have enjoyed reading about your grandfather and fellow gunner.

Hi Daniel

von Herrmann is in the Rangliste, in 1914 in "Holsteinisches Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 24", "Hauptmann und Batteriechef der 5. Batterie".

His last rank was Major, as commander of the "Clevesches Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 43", or see on the stamp: "Kgl. Preuss. FeldArtlr-Regt. Nr. 43".

Uwe

Edited by speedytop