News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South African Medallions

Hi- I have this large Coronation 55mm diameter medallion which is dated the 9th August 1902 .The peculiarity is the imprinted name on the rim.It is named " 30281 P.D. SERFONTEIN SOUTH AFRICA" Any assistance would be appreciated.

post-10280-084419900 1287695322_thumb.jp

post-10280-068725400 1287695459_thumb.jp

Hello - Anthony. Welcome to GMIC - as I have mentioned before our Sth. African members keep growing - soon, we mount a coup..... So, look out Nick. Although sometimes I think you'd be glad to get rid of us ?

Very unusual medallion - I've not previously seen one with just the Queen Consort's head. Being a Coronation medallion I would have expected Edward's head as well. The way the inscription is written it would seem to be a service number, his name and the initials PD. Could this be Police Department - unlikely, we don't often use the word Dept. in association with Police. Prison Department - a possibility. But with the Queen's head can you think of a womens' organisation with those initials ?

Let's hope someone has some background ?

p.s. - just a a thought - isn't Serfontein a town ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hello Anthony,

I'd like to add my welcome to the forum as well.

While my input is more of a comment to Mervyn's post I hope it may help in the quest for the answer to your question.

I did a very short search on the internet for "serfontein" and it came up as a sir name. That would make sense especially with the initals P D and in the light of Meryvn's comment that it would not be Police Department. My first though was, provided Serfontein was a town, that PD was something like a Postal District but finding only submissions on the interenet stating this is a sir name I am left with the impressin that this is a name of a person.

A very interesting medallion and I wonder if this was part of a pair, the other with King Edward on it. What is on the reverse?

Regards

Brian

Hello Anthony, and welcome to the forum.

I'd think that 'P.D. Serfontein' was the recipient's name and 30281 a service number of some kind. Question is: which service? It being such a high number, I'd guess a permanent force such as the Cape Mounted Riflemen, the Cape Police, or the Natal Police.

There's are web pages about this medallion at: http://www.medallion...nmedallion.html

and http://darwincountry...deb42e1c5b5cd64

I've just had another look at the rim picture and after P.D. - it looks like South ? So, perhaps a pair - as Brian suggests and as Arthur says perhaps a district for a serving unit ?

Hi Mervyn and all who helped with the reply. Thank you for the welcome. It has the obverse with Prince Albert and the south is "South Africa". It definitely looks like a force number. Mervyn -what did you think of that Cape of Good Hope Convict police pic I sent you yesterday.

B.T.W. Anthony is a Pseudonym for Alf Boyley..

Hi Mervyn and all who helped with the reply. Thank you for the welcome. It has the obverse with Prince Albert and the south is "South Africa". It definitely looks like a force number. Mervyn -what did you think of that Cape of Good Hope Convict police pic I sent you yesterday.

B.T.W. Anthony is a Pseudonym for Alf Boyley..

Sorry King Edward on the obverse.

Hello Anthony, and welcome to the forum.

I'd think that 'P.D. Serfontein' was the recipient's name and 30281 a service number of some kind. Question is: which service? It being such a high number, I'd guess a permanent force such as the Cape Mounted Riflemen, the Cape Police, or the Natal Police.

There's are web pages about this medallion at: http://www.medallion...nmedallion.html

and http://darwincountry...deb42e1c5b5cd64

Hi Arthur-Many thanks- I think that you are closer to the mark but as you say. which service and why?

Cheers

Alf

Hello Anthony,

I'd like to add my welcome to the forum as well.

While my input is more of a comment to Mervyn's post I hope it may help in the quest for the answer to your question.

I did a very short search on the internet for "serfontein" and it came up as a sir name. That would make sense especially with the initals P D and in the light of Meryvn's comment that it would not be Police Department. My first though was, provided Serfontein was a town, that PD was something like a Postal District but finding only submissions on the interenet stating this is a sir name I am left with the impressin that this is a name of a person.

A very interesting medallion and I wonder if this was part of a pair, the other with King Edward on it. What is on the reverse?

Regards

Brian

Thank you very much Brian. The P.D. and lettering are identical to an impression on a QSA but there are lots of unanswered question.

Cheers

Alf

Alf - under whichever name - it is a pleasure to have you with us on the Forum. For the benefit of members I should say that Alf ran the Police Force in a South Coast town in Natal - and later, was the Town Clerk. I believe Alf , you are now retired in the Cape ?

With regard to the medallion, I think the rarity is it having an official issuing and naming around the rim. I have never seen that on such a scale for a medallion. Perhaps some more info. will come to light.

The catalogue of the badges was quite exceptional - whoever bought them - I 'hate' them..... See if you can separate the Convict badge and start a thread under Brit. & Commonwealth Police - about the closest for Prisons. Give some history and then I will add my two rare Robben Island helmet plates. Mervyn

Alf - under whichever name - it is a pleasure to have you with us on the Forum. For the benefit of members I should say that Alf ran the Police Force in a South Coast town in Natal - and later, was the Town Clerk. I believe Alf , you are now retired in the Cape ?

With regard to the medallion, I think the rarity is it having an official issuing and naming around the rim. I have never seen that on such a scale for a medallion. Perhaps some more info. will come to light.

The catalogue of the badges was quite exceptional - whoever bought them - I 'hate' them..... See if you can separate the Convict badge and start a thread under Brit. & Commonwealth Police - about the closest for Prisons. Give some history and then I will add my two rare Robben Island helmet plates. Mervyn

Hi Meryn- Thanks for that - I will try and separate that item and who knows another may see the light of day.Alf