News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

UNUSUAL BOER WAR GROUP

I don't like to add too much at one time - stops other posts. However, I bought this at the same time as the IGS 1879 medal and I think there may be a family connection. I will show only the one frontal view - what immediate question springs to mind ? Yes - why has it got two Queen's South Africa medals ?

Quite simply this is one of those rare occasions where two were awarded. They are not uncommon and are usually as a result of the soldier being carried on two separate Rolls - this was the case here.

Gunner H.S.GUTRIDGE started his service with the Natal Field Artillery - a small unit , still equipped with muzzle loading 7 lb. field guns. They actually dragged two of them to King Cetwayo's Coronation in 1873 and fired the Salute. They were present at the first battle of the Boer War - COLENSO - and were hopelessly outgunned by the Boers. When the British retreated to Ladysmith, the Field Artillery went with them, however, before the Siege commenced it was realised that they would not be of help and they were sent towards Durban. They in fact were added to Gen. Buller's Relief Force which eventually relieved the Siege.

During this period it was realised that British troops were hopelessly lost in African Bush and hills and it was decided to form a Corps of Guides from local Colonial troops who knew the area. Called the NATAL GUIDES volunteers were called for and all were given the rank of Sergeant. From 1904 to 1907 it is known that there were only 15 men - obviously there must have been more for the 1900-1902 period but, so far we haven't been able to establish numbers.

So, now we come to the medals. Firstly, the QSA with the single bar RELIEF OF LADYSMITH correctly named and to the Natal Field Arty..

Secondly - an exceptional QSA with 6 bars - 5 of them for Actions. This is again correctly named and shows him as SGT. Natal Guides. Finally,

we have his King's South Africa Medal - with naming to LIEUT - KFS (Kitchener's Fighting Scouts). Different naming for QSA and KSA is fairly uncommon - and of course he is now Commissioned. There is also a small medallion award dated 1894 and with his initials - probably a shooting 'Albert' for the watch chain.

The end result is that he has 7 Bars for his QSA's - 6 of them for Actions + an additional two on the KSA. A total of 9 !

Some photos of the GUIDES were kindly shown under Militaria (next one down). One question that one of our experts may be able to help with -

Was he entitled to wear both QSA's. After all the bars are split between them ? ( Have just noticed tht the Relief bar is also on the six bars.)

post-6209-032736600 1288098563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Good Morning Mervyn.....

I would think that he would only wear the one, with the 6 bars, as the single bar has been duplicated in the 6 bar.......

I have a pair where the mans QSA was issued as a Private and he was a Corporal...... He kicked up a stink and they issued him a second medal with the rank of Corporal and he was supposed to send the Private back but instead kept it now I have both......

If you look into the correspondence on his file, if available, there may be a letter asking him to return the first medal......

Still a very good group......

Mike