News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal and Service/Pay book to a Catering Corp Private

Hi folks, Mervyn suggested a I post this one up here for you guys to enjoy.

I am also looking for help on any medals missing from the group (I'm assuming I'm just missing the france and germany star)

Please enjoy

#edit# quick addition to say I just clarified he was a cook, Group B. Class 3

Discharged after failing fitness requirements.

The back of his discharge certificate has a reference from someone.

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

apologies for no medal reverse. Its not engraved though

Feel free to ask for more photos!

Edited by khorgor

Always nice to see documentation as well as the medals themselves and I can add that his regimental number(3394004) doesn't actually belong to the Army Catering Corps, but actually belongs to the East Lancashire Regt block series which was 3377001 - 3433000. As his discharge document states he went onto serve with the Kings(Liverpool)Regt and as such his regimental number went with him unlike numbers issued from 1881-1920. His final port of call was the Army Catering Corps from which he was eventually discharged and their block number series ran from 10630001 to 10655000.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

I just had a question about Army Numbers answered, thanks Graham and Leigh, and thought that this site would prove very useful as an additional reference. It is probably well known to many members but for those that haven't come across it http://1914-1918.net/

This is the link to the numbering system introduced in 1920 http://1914-1918.net/renumbering20.htm and following is part of the first page. The author of the site allows up to half a page to be used and requests that the URL be specified.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

The 5th and 8th Bns. of the King's landed on D-Day; perhaps he was in a subsequent wave arriving the next day.

Since his service began February 1942, I don't think he would have had enough time to qualify for the Defence Medal, unless he had some Civil Defence or Home Guard time. Even then, I think the Defence Medal was authorized at about the same time as the Stars, so its absence may be deliberate. The War Medal was authorized later, and it isn't uncommon to see ribbon bars that end with the Defence Medal.

thanks all for the amazing information!!!

Its nice to know this guy had a bit of history besides slaving over a cooking pot and eating a bit too much...

I have to wonder why he left/got moved from the lancers to the catering corp though. Maybe his fitness has been a long running issue during his service?

The 5th and 8th Bns. of the King's landed on D-Day; perhaps he was in a subsequent wave arriving the next day.

Since his service began February 1942, I don't think he would have had enough time to qualify for the Defence Medal, unless he had some Civil Defence or Home Guard time. Even then, I think the Defence Medal was authorized at about the same time as the Stars, so its absence may be deliberate. The War Medal was authorized later, and it isn't uncommon to see ribbon bars that end with the Defence Medal.

Late at night here & no references to hand, but was'nt the qualification for The Defence Medal 3 years - shorter in some circumstances?

(My father qualified although, I think, he did'nt join the army until 1942 & did'nt serve abroad until June 1944).

ohhh thankyou graham :-)

can anyone give me a hint on where I might be able to find transfer documents or reasons for transfer for this fellow?

and still need to follow up on if he actually arrived at the landings as noted by michael

ohhh thankyou graham :-)

can anyone give me a hint on where I might be able to find transfer documents or reasons for transfer for this fellow?

and still need to follow up on if he actually arrived at the landings as noted by michael

His records may still be with the Army Records Office - however if you aren't a direct blood relative, then I'm afraid you won't be allowed access to them, just in case they or their relatives are still alive and they contain sensitive material.