News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mons Star

Hi,

I tried to find out more about this Mons Star but unfortunately again my Ancestry web researhing skills let me down.off%20topic.gif

I was able to dig out ony his MIC and thats it. Probably because as well name is common. But I have a feeling that there should be more....

Anyway, if someone again can help me or point out right direction, I would be very happy.

Here is what I have so far:

1914 Star named to Pte 11357 W.KANE R.IR;FUS

Private William Kane

Service Number: 11357 Royal Irish Fusiliers / 47226 Worcestershire Regiment

His MIC don't show much (at least I got his second regimental number and full first name)

17045341ca29c7_l.jpg

So, nothing else on Ancestry or at least I wasn't able to locate anything else (pension records, service, etc).

Also, his MIC don't show VM or BWM - can it be listed to the other MIC or it was only one card what was processed by person?

Also I checked London Gazette - just in case and NIL results

However, there was piece on the Worcestershire's web. Who ever looks after this - great job!

Here is a list of Worcestershire Regiment men issued with the Silver War Badge and there he is again:

Keane William 47226 Pte.

(http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/swb_k)

This time as a Keane.... maybe something why I wasn't able to find anything else?

All the best,

Noor

and after one evening spent on the internet, here is the information, what I was able to dig up:

Private William Keane (Kane)

This 1914 Star was part of a lot from Whyte’s Auctions on the 13th of November 2010, Dublin (Lot 129) which consist a 1914 Star, Irish Shooting Medal, an old envelope,a school patch and soldier’s made decorative chain. (1)

1914 Star (Mons Star) named to 11357 Pte W.KANE R.IR;FUS

Royal Irish Fusiliers (Regimental No. 11357) Medal Index Card (2) show’s his name William Kane , it also provides his second regimental number on the Worcestershire Regiment. Only entitlement listed – 1914 Star (Role B/4 Page 60).

Future research using name Kane didn’t give any results on the Ancestry web page and on the National Archive.

Worcestershire Regiment web page shows him on the regimental list – “Worcestershire Regiment men issued with the Silver War Badge”

Keane William 47226 Pte. (3)

However, research using second name “Keane” provide Worcestershire Regiment (Regimental No. 47226) Medal Index Card. Only entitlement has shown – Silver War Badge (L/163/2). Correspondence – apply. for medals (undated). (4)

After finding his British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920 (6), which verify that the second name Keane is correct and his 1914 Star (Mons Star) and the Medal Index Card for service with the Irish Fusiliers is stamped/filled incorrectly.

William B. Keane

William B. Keane was born in Dublin, St.James Parish in October 1893 as a son of Patrick and Kate Keane. He had one sister. He lived near by in Kilkenny and was a labourer before entered to the Army 20th September 1913 at age of 19. His first 6 Years Army Reserve Regimental number was 3329 with the Leinster Regiment A Reserve from 8th November 1912. However, he was willing to serve on the Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Referring the medical check up, he was 5 feet and 37 inch tall, 121 bounds weight, eyes blue and hair brown. He was Roman Catholic.

After his medical examination on 20th September 1913 William Keane was accepted as a fit for the Army and he was moved to Royal Irish Fusiliers 1st Battalion (known as a “Faugh-a-Ballaghs” - Clear the Way) on 25th September 1913 what were quartered in Moore Barracks, Shorncliffe. He served there all together September 1913 to 21st August 1914.

When the First World War broke out, his unit was mobilized to the Expeditionary Force when at 6.40 p.m. 4th of August a telegram was received in the barracks. (5)

At the outbreak of war the 1st Battalion was part of 10th Brigade, 4th Division and it went to France with the division in August 1914, arriving just in time to fight the Battle of Le Cateau on the 26th August. Private Keane arrived to France 22nd August 1914 and most likely got his first battle experience in this bitter artilleryman's battle, demonstrating the devastating results which modern quick-firing artillery using air bursting shrapnel shells could have on infantry advancing in the open.

He was gassed on 21st April 1915 and moved to the No 30th General Hospital, No 35th Rawalpindi British General Hospital, Anglo-Belge BRCS Hospital (British Farmers Hospital) or in Calais Isolation Hospital – all based on northern France, Calais (7) for nine weeks because his breading was bad.

2nd September 1915 he was moved to the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force.

15th March 1916 Private Keane was posted to 6th Battalion which had seen action before in Gallipoli and was sent to Salonika in October 1915. 2 November 1916 absorbed the 5th Battalion.

14th April 1916 He was hospitalised (most likely wounded). 23rd April 1916 he arrived to Adm St Georges Hospital in Malta.

13th December 1916 Private Keane was sent back to England. After being unfit for the field, he was moved to the Worcestershire Regiment 15th Battalion. The 15th Battalion was formed in December 1916 under the command of Captain (temp. Lieut.-Colonel) P. A. Hopkins and was employed on transport duties in the south of England, their headquarters being at Swindon.

These new units were formed from skilled personnel unfit for field service, were organized as military bodies, and received official designation in the usual manner; and thus there appeared in the Army List the 15th (Transport Workers) Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment. (3)

Total service towards engagement to 22nd November 1917 (date of discharge) 4 years 64 days when the medical commission found him no longer physically fit for service and he was discharged from Maryborough Station. Main reason - bronchitis (chronic), catarrhal what was caused by gas in 1915. Regarding medical card he had disablement 40%, permanently unfit for future service and invalided.

William Keane died 6th November 1918, just five days before end of the First World War.

He is buried to the Gloucester Old Cemetery Grave Ref - NG1123 Keane William Pte. 47226 6.11.18 - 15th Battalion Worcesterhire Regiment (8)

Sources:

(1)Auction house

www.whytes.ie/4OnlineCatalogue1.asp

(2)National archive link

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=3353805

(3) Worcestershire Regiment web page

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/swb_k

(4) Worcestershire Regiment web page

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/bat_15

(5) 1st Battalion The “Faugh-A-Ballaghs” (Royal Irish Fusiliers) in the Great War. Author Brig-Gen A.R.Burrows

(6) Ancestry link

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1114&iid=miuk1914a_085173-01380&fn=William&ln=Keane&st=r&ssrc=&pid=433366

(7) Allied WW1 Military Hospitals on the Western Front

http://www.anzacday.org.au/digging/hospitals.html

http://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/hospitals/

(8) Gloucester Old Cemetery

http://www.cgwfa.org.uk/newsletters/Grave%20Listing%20for%20WEBSITE%203.xls

William B. Keane was born in Dublin, St.James Parish in October 1893 as a son of Patrick and Kate Keane. He had one sister. He lived near by in Kilkenny and was a labourer before entered to the Army 20th September 1913 at age of 19. His first 6 Years Army Reserve Regimental number was 3329 with the Leinster Regiment A Reserve from 8th November 1912. However, he was willing to serve on the Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Finding this bit confusing, as to become an 'A' Class Reservist(also known as the First Class Reserve), you would have had to have been discharged from your previous unit, which was previously the Leinster Regiment(3329). So I have to ask what caused the discharge to the 'A' Class Reserve in the first place? Under the terms and conditions of enlistment during this period it was usually 12years or "7 & 5" - seven years with the Colours and five on the reserve, but should you take your discharge anytime during the Colour service i.e. buy yourself out, then what time you had left was to be on the Reserve unitl you completed 12years in total.

Hi Graham,

Thank you for your replay! I am very new on this field to research someone:whistle:

Anyway, I followed this document (I added upper and lower part of it). There is listed his reserve unit as a Leinster Reg. and lower part shows 8th October 1912.

17062167ae9a5c_o.jpg

And here is Leinster Regt. A Res. written on the bottom right courner - also confirms his two Reg. Numbres upper left courner.

Anyway, whats the story with that reserve regiment then? Something where men were listed before their actual service? etc?

17062201d920f9_l.jpg

Now we getting a clearer picture here, hence that low number(3329). The Special Reserve wasn't created until 1908 from the old Militia and is a Reserve unit(not regulars), hence his different terms and conditions, plus they also had a numbering system independent from the Regulars. The 4th Bn, Leinster Regiment were an "Extra-Reserve" Battalion, whereas the 3rd Bn, Leinster Regiment were simply a "Reserve" Battalion, however both were Special Reserve units. The Special Reserve could only be embodied on the declaration of war or during a National Emergency and it's memebers usually only attended training once a year for a period of up to one month.

To become a Regular soldier with the Royal Irish Fusiliers he would have had to take his discharge, (under Regulations for the SR at that time) from the Special Reserve and then re-enlist into the regular Army, whom he would have initially served overseas with in August 1914, before transfer to the Worcestershire Regiment. Notice his new terms as a Regular are as described - 12years(7 with the Colours & 5 with the Reserve).

Edited by Graham Stewart

Thanks Graham,

Your knowledge and input has been great help! This text was just a 1-2 day effort and there is more details and info added already! Of course, must do as well gross checking to be sure did I got all the dates correct. I will share when everything is ready.

Here is one picture to add:

Gloucester Old Cemetery (Grave Ref - NG1123) - Keane William Pte. 47226 6th November 1918 - 15th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

17067505b18ce2_o.jpg