News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

my great grand dads medals!

although it was only this year is started to get into british medal collecting i always knew we still had my great grandfather medals from ww1!

he was in the 1/east lanc regiment!! and only joined in 1911 as it was the army or being a farm laborer!!

i didnt know to much only that he got wounded very early in the war and that this meant he to invalided out of the army by i think 1917(and from what my grand says it was the best mornings work he ever did cos he got to hang out paris for 6 months!! :rolleyes:;) )

so when i finally got to see them at the start of the month it was really strange but really cool as while i have other people medals this is my family's only medals! \my uncle currently has them but while he isnt to interested in them he is interested in family history so hopefully they will stay in the family!

i do have on question,iv been trying to find his enlistment and pension records on ancestry but so far i have been able to find a match!i know he enlisted in 1911 as i have a copy of his soldiers book and a pic of him just after he enlisted(which handily is over in my girlfriends house and shes away for a month!!) so is there any chance of an help to narrow him down or even a point in the right direction would be great!

so any help would be fantastic!thanks :beer:

and here is the pic of his 1914 star where he was wounded and his wound badge which is listed lost on the MIC card!!! ;)

post-1124-093539100 1289867967_thumb.jpg

Edited by paddywhack

Very nice and always a pleasue to see that they remain within the family. They're in the same condition as those of my great grandfather and great uncle - unworn, although mine are still in their original boxes of issue.

Anyway you will have noticed that he landed in France on 22nd Aug 1914 and although you may not be able to glean any more details from the Ancestry sites I would suggest you get hold of both his Silver War Badge and Medal Roll Sheet's from KEW.

The SWB sheet will give you the exact date of enlistment and discharge as well as the cause of discharge and the battalion/depot from which he was discharged. The cause of discharge is usually under Kings Regulations Paragraph 392(xvi) or (xvi)a, but will sometimes be more specific i.e. GSW; Wounds; Gas Poisoning etc, as well as giving age at the time of discharge.

The Medal Roll Sheet may or may not include any other battalions he may have served with while overseas, as not all casualties/sick soldiers were transferred to the UK to recover. Quite often on recovery men were sometimes posted to other battalions within their regiment, so it does help to get hold of this sheet too.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Could be worth researchin if he is entitled to the Defence Medal for WW2 service? noticing the ARP badge.

yeah i was thinking that myself! going to take a look at ancestry again tonight and see if i cant find his service records and pension records as we has invalided out of the army!