News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch helmet

Have had this one for many years now, sitting on a display shelf. I picked it up in a small antique shop in St. Louis. Of late I'm pondering trying to add a U.S. WW1 uniform (or at least tunic) to my collection so thought I'd see what the actual history of this one was in the hopes of being able to us it with said uniform/tunic for a display. I've now been told that the helmet is actually Dutch:

The helmet has a Dutch chinstrap and liner (size 56 cm).

After the War, the Dutch Government changed the British lining and straps; the lock on the straps are "quick release", to avoid a man being strangled when the helmet was pulled backwards. This type of straps was introduced in about 1948.

The stamps shows the Dutch Lion (with in its paws a bundle of arrows and a sword) and I can see part of the text "GOEDGEKEURD" (translated: approved).

During the War the Dutch Forces adopted the English helmets (and uniforms) and these were continued to be worn until the 1950s, but with a brownish green colour. The pale grey helmets were used by the Dutch Red Cross and Civil Defense for long after.

It has traveled a long way from home, when it showed up in St.Louis....

Many thanks to Odulf for this extremely helpful information! beer.gif

So I figured I'd pop it in here to share with any of our members who are intro'd in Dutch militaria.

post-873-084055200 1289953108_thumb.jpg

post-873-074405300 1289953114_thumb.jpg

post-873-059931900 1289953121_thumb.jpg

post-873-072918600 1289953128_thumb.jpg