News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Opinions on this 4th Class Rising Sun?

khorgor

Hi guys.

I saw this 4th class today on the net and was hoping to get your thoughts on it.

I'm well aware that it has the wrong ribbon, with no box and the darkness of the photo makes it hard to see if the rays are golden or silver.

any help and opinons would be greatly appreciated before I put in the cash for it.

P.S. anyone know where I could get the proper ribbon for this? I'm guessing the OMSA ribbon bank? are e-bay ribbons generally ok?

untitled-1.jpg

My opinion - do not waste your time trying to replace the ribbon - don't buy the piece. Hold out, and buy yourself a cased award with the original ribbon and rosette. You will be able to find one, they are not all that uncommon. Again, just my opinion - but I like complete, original pieces.

hi dieter,

thanks for your comment

I do agree, but most 4th class awards come in at way over my budget. I did notice a nice 5th class on the site as a complete set at around the right price, but with the 4th class still coming in cheaper, I thought I would go for it.

Plus, I plan on framing the award, so I'm not too worried about the case - although I realise it hurts my chances in the future if I plan to sell and upgrade to a more complete award.

Well, just remember - you're only getting half the 4th class award though! By the time your repair the 4th class, it will still only be 1/2 the award but at some additional cost for the ribbon and all. It might appear correct, but it will never be the original. If you just want a framed piece for looks, I guess that's O.K. - but I tell you, I've seen some framed pieces that incorporate the original case and rosette, sometimes a document - they are sweet looking, for sure! You sure you don't want to hold out??? :unsure: Just think about it before you jump on it, you don't want to be disappointed in the future. :blush: If you're really limited by a set budget, well, I can understand that, we've all been there! :rolleyes:

My opinion - do not waste your time trying to replace the ribbon - don't buy the piece. Hold out, and buy yourself a cased award with the original ribbon and rosette. You will be able to find one, they are not all that uncommon. Again, just my opinion - but I like complete, original pieces.

Agreed. If you're going to spend your hard-earned cash, spend it on the best that you can lay your hands on.

hi guys.

thankyou so much for your replies. I greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Dieter, you make very sound advice. Even replacing the ribbon with the correct ribbon, I'm technically falsifing the award and moving even further away from the original state.

Well, I have the price data you nicely put up on the forum. So I will have a hunt on YJA for a while and see if a complete 4th set appears and go for it

Thanks once again guys for pointing a new collector in the right direction. It will be a better idea to save the money, save up and head towards a complete set.

Thankls