News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MIC help please!

Hi all,

Here is one pretty interesting WW1 MIC, what belonged to the man who served in Royal Sussex Regiment and later in RFC/RAF. I downloaded his MIC but can't understand what the numbers and text mean on the Remarks column. Maybe someone can advise or help? When he was moved to reserve, etc? Whats "9" stands for?

Any info would be great!

Also, what 22 F.D.S. stands for in a 1919 context in RFC/RAF? Maybe Force Development Sqn or Field Defence Squadron?

Does the medal role indicate as well what battalion he was with the Royal Sussex Regiment and in this case does Sussex R. roles exist and from where I should query it?

Kind Regards,

Timo aka Noor

17212067bfa941_o.jpg

Seems to read - 'transferred 'G' ref 24/3/19'

And the "G" probably stands for a records series in the Archives. I know that in our [Canadian] National Archives runs or groups are lettered "G', "H", "M" and so on in some arcane formula known only to the archive gnomes but one does have to have the letter as well as the actual box/fond/file or reel numbers to find anything.

I don't see the "22 F.D.S." you mention but at a guess, for that period, I'd say "Field Dressing Station" - first stop on the road to Blighty for wounded or ill airmen and soldiers. Does that make any sense in the context? Might he have been a medical orderly or some other useful trade which would see him attached to a local aid detachment?

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Thanks guys!

Hope it will help and I will post whole research up some moment, when its finished.

I don't see the "22 F.D.S." you mention but at a guess, for that period, I'd say "Field Dressing Station" - first stop on the road to Blighty for wounded or ill airmen and soldiers. Does that make any sense in the context? Might he have been a medical orderly or some other useful trade which would see him attached to a local aid detachment?

He got wounded September 1916, when he served with the Royal Sussex Regiment but after hospidal he was transferred to Royal Flying Corps 7th Dec. 1916, as 51521 2nd Class A.M.. Transferred to R.A.F. 01/04/1918, and remustered A.M. 3. To No.6 School of Aviation, 23/08/1918; Aviation School, Uxbridge, 13/10/1918; Graded Flight Cadet, 09/11/1918. 22 F.D.S., 07/12/1918; Dispersal Centre, Baldonnell (Dublin), 23/02/1919.

Maybe this helps to understand or quess that 22 F.D.S. more..... any ideas?

Regards,

Timo