News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thanks to forum member Daniel Krause for his research skill and generosity in sharing the following information on this very nice trapezoid ribbon bar.

I quote Daniel, "Your bar belonged to Karl Graf von Holnstein aus Bayern. He was born in Munich 15/10/54 but spent his entire career in Prussian service. In 1908 he was Oberstleutnant zD form Inf Rgt 172, lived in Froschweiler near Worth. In WWI he was recalled and retired as Oberst commanding Landwehr Rgt 32. Alive in 1926.

Your bar was worn around 1905 and shows: Red Eagle 4 with Crown, XXV, Cent, Hesse Phillip knight 1st, Russia Anna 3, Austrian Franz Joseph knight, Waldeck Military Merit Cross 3, Rumania Star 4, Rumania Crown 4, Persian Sun and Lion 5, Odd that he put some foriegn awards in front of German ones!!!

Up to 1908 he added a Crown Order 3 probably as retirement gift and a Baden Berthold knight-odd high award WITHOUT a previously awarded Zahringer Lion, upgraded his Ernestine knight to a neck worn Commanders grade, needed an even longer neck for a Waldeck Merit Cross 2 and a Malteser Neck Cross.

Also odd, he got NOTHING from Bavaria until 1915 when he initially got a BMV3XKr published 22/2/15"

Again, Daniel, my most profuse thanks for your efforts. :D:D:D:beer:

Guest Rick Research

Bump that oh so brief period of wear back to pre-1902, since he already had a CO3 then which isn't here.

And THAT is why in my flipping of thousands and thousands of pages back to 1907 from 1914 (we always tend to assume "most recently worn" rather than-- as here-- "superceded but not thrown away") I didn't find him! :cheers::cheers: Daniel!!!

The Helden-Gedenkmappe reported in 1921 that the 2nd branch of this family would die out with Oberst aD Karl "of Schloss Milkel" because he had no descendants in the male line (implying he had daughters or a daughter).