News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi Al Bakir University Stars

bmsm

The Star was awarded between 1976-2003 to the distinguished students in Al Bakir University for Military Higher Studies.

There are two types of the Al Bakir Stars.

Italian made (higher quality), used from 1976-1991 and Iraqi made (used after 1991). The reverse may be found with or with out a backing plate behind the center disc. The Stars are identical except for the center disc. After 1991 the Iraqi's used the Italian made star and attached there own center disc. The Italian center disc is very well made and the Iraqi center disc is glazed and not as well made. Both Stars are 3 inches in diameter.

The items represented in the center disc are a sword (Ground Forces), anchor (Navy) and wing (Air Force). The book represents knowledge, the writing feather represents science and the torch represents the power of knowledge and the science. Inside the book is a verse from the Holy Qur'an (God give me more knowledge) and below the book Al Bakir University 1976 A.D., 1396 A.H.The cover of the award box is 6-3/8 in. wide, 6-1/2 in. high and lined with white satin on the inside.

All Iraqi Army, Navy and Air Force Officers were allowed to attend this University regardless of their rank.

The Star on the top is Italian and the Star on the bottom is Iraqi.

Bob

post-4096-020221400 1293737864_thumb.jpg

post-4096-069656400 1293737887_thumb.jpg

Edited by bmsm

I have both issues of this award in my collection, I also seen one with Saddam Hussein in the center, which sold on an online auction for 282.00 last year.

Very good information Bob thank you for sharing.

Lorenzo

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the detailed posting.

Are there any indications as to what the award criteria were?

I wonder how many were awarded?

Regards,

Will

Will,

Information on Iraqi Medals, Orders, etc. is almost impossible to find,. The only information I have is from my source in Iraq who has been dealing in Iraqi Militaria for many years. Even now it is hard to find out information on new awards if you "don't have a need to know" and many of the makers of awards are very reluctant to give out information with the way the situation is in Iraq.

So to answer your question, it is unknown if it went by grades and (or) athletic ability and what other criteria was involved. It is also unknown how many were awarded during that time.

I wish I had more answers but this is all I have and wanted to share what I had available.

Bob