News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cossack awards

TacHel

I recently started researching the awards of the re emerging Cossack societies and related military units. In case you didn't know, one automatically comes with the other, and we're not simply talking about regiments here, we're talking about entire armies. For military historians, FYI, they've reformed the Grand Don Cossack Army. Cossack units have fought alongside regular Russian troops in Georgia, in Transnistria and in the Caucasus.

Amur Cossacks, Astrakhan Cossacks, Baltic Cossacks, Black Sea Cossacks, Central Cossacks, Don Cossacks, Kuban Cossacks, Orenburg Cossacks, Siberian Cossacks, Terek Cossacks, Trans-Baikal Cossacks, Ural Cossacks, Ussuri Cossacks, Yakutsk Cossacks... Quite the list.

They have developed their own ODMs and wear them alonside official Russian Federation ODMs, public awards, Umalatovas etc. Their WW2 veterans who served with the Wehrmacht have been seen even wearing their German WW2 decorations. Each Cossack "host" (society) has its own ODMs, and the Union of Russian Cossacks (of which all hosts are part of) also has its own ODMs.

Below is not the norm for Cossack ODMs, it is quite THE exception... To date, although a few quality medals have been minted, the majority of their awards are borderline crude and of low quality. The award below if the Order of Ataman (chieftain) Platov 1st class. Again I must stress, this is exceptional for a Cossack award. I thought I'd show you the top, then we'll move down...

post-3030-033380200 1293769572_thumb.jpg

Here's an example of a pretty common award. The Cross for the Revival of the Cossacks. It comes in various classes, various colours depending on the host, slightly varying designs, different ribbons etc. But as you can see, it is of quite simple manufacture. This is actually one of the higher quality examples.

post-3030-051870300 1293770277_thumb.jpg

I recently started researching the awards of the re emerging Cossack societies and related military units. In case you didn't know, one automatically comes with the other, and we're not simply talking about regiments here, we're talking about entire armies. For military historians, FYI, they've reformed the Grand Don Cossack Army. Cossack units have fought alongside regular Russian troops in Georgia, in Transnistria and in the Caucasus.

Amur Cossacks, Astrakhan Cossacks, Baltic Cossacks, Black Sea Cossacks, Central Cossacks, Don Cossacks, Kuban Cossacks, Orenburg Cossacks, Siberian Cossacks, Terek Cossacks, Trans-Baikal Cossacks, Ural Cossacks, Ussuri Cossacks, Yakutsk Cossacks... Quite the list.

They have developed their own ODMs and wear them alonside official Russian Federation ODMs, public awards, Umalatovas etc. Their WW2 veterans who served with the Wehrmacht have been seen even wearing their German WW2 decorations. Each Cossack "host" (society) has its own ODMs, and the Union of Russian Cossacks (of which all hosts are part of) also has its own ODMs.

Below is not the norm for Cossack ODMs, it is quite THE exception... To date, although a few quality medals have been minted, the majority of their awards are borderline crude and of low quality. The award below if the Order of Ataman (chieftain) Platov 1st class. Again I must stress, this is exceptional for a Cossack award. I thought I'd show you the top, then we'll move down...

post-3030-033380200 1293769572_thumb.jpg

That is a beautiful award!!!! Have any been up for sale and if so any idea how much? Probably a mint but man that would be a nice addition to anyone's collection! jumping.gifjumping.giflove.giflove.gif

Dan cheers.gif

The crosses below were established by the Union of Don Cossacks in 1993. Awarded with swords to Cossacks involved in the fighting in the Moldavian Republic of Transnistria, awarded without swords to Cossacks who did not participate in hostilities, but contributed to victory in the Russian Trans-Dniester.

Reverse incription: For Transnistria 1992.

There's no denying the resemblance to the Cross of St George, and Cossacks use the St George ribbon on a great majority of their military and combat awards.

post-3030-040321800 1293770732_thumb.jpg

That is a beautiful award!!!! Have any been up for sale and if so any idea how much? Probably a mint but man that would be a nice addition to anyone's collection! jumping.gifjumping.giflove.giflove.gif

Dan cheers.gif

I know of a place in Moscow where there's one for sale for 9500 roubles ($310 USD). Good luck getting out of there though.

Below is the award 2nd class. BTW, both of these pics are of the actual items up for sale. (Not to rub it in or nothing...:whistle: )

post-3030-059683800 1293771127_thumb.jpg

Edited by TacHel

Would have thought they'd be more. Out of my reach but perhaps not impossible down the road. But as you say... getting them out would be the problem. 2014.gif Of course I guess one could get oneself befriended by a group of Cossacks and made an honorary Cossack... then... perhaps. rolleyes.giftongue.gifbeer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Of course I guess one could get oneself befriended by a group of Cossacks and made an honorary Cossack... then... perhaps. rolleyes.giftongue.gifbeer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Oh man... I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you... Cossack = Xenophobia-R-Us

You're more likely to earn a young Cossack a medal if you get my drift...:whistle:

Frank,

I believe the Cross for Fidelity was first awarded for participants in the War of Transdniestria in 1992 by President Igor Smirnov. While the new country is called a variety of names (such as Transdniestria- land across the Dniester River), it's official name is the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic. The Black Sea Cossacks joined with the ethnically Russian population of this strip of land in a war of separation from Moldova (largely ethnically Romanian). The Russian 14th Guards Army entered the fight to bring it to an end and, as it stands, Pridnestrovie (it's shortened, common name) functions as an independent nation and, I believe there is still a Russian presence in a peacekeeping role- there is still considerable "bad blood" between Pridnestrovie and Moldova. Anyway, the Black Sea Cossacks have a home there and augment the standing military/police forces. To date, Pridnestrovie has not been recognized by any major country. Oh yeah, another point of interest... Pridnestrovie has chosen to keep the "trappings" of the Moldavian SSR, including the flag (which is seen as often with the hammer and sickle as not) and a slightly modified state seal which still bears the hammer and sickle. Oddly, the process is democratic and neither of the two Communist parties there have appreciable influence. For more on Pridnestrovie awards from my collection go to:

http://gmic.co.uk/in...showtopic=38666

Another Cossack award associated with this area; the Cross for Defense of Pridnestrovie. A beautiful, heavy and very well made, multi- piece award produced by the Probeda Factory in Moscow. The image is that of General Suvorov- THE personality associated with Pridnestrovie.

post-7004-047195100 1294156869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Collins

I'm not absolutely sure, Frank. All indicators that I have access to point toward Pridnestrovie being a Host, rather than a simple incursion. The Cossacks are always in the news at some level and, as I've already said, they bolster the military and police forces- they even provide personnel at the borders. I'm pretty sure Pridnestrovie has become home.