News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - 1913 Serbian Commemorative Cross

Just recently added one of these to my collection and had to ask a couple of questions here.

I undestand this cross was made by both Arthus Bertrand of Paris and Huguenin Frères of Le Locle, Switzerland. So, how do you tell the difference between the manufactures? I don't see any marks anywhere.

This example shows the narrower straight ribbon that I see most commonly in mounted groups. I am still confused on the differences between ribbon styles and see these with the tri-fold ribbon as well. ??

Tim

post-548-033202000 1294384549_thumb.jpg

I have seen one example that had a narrow ring/eye type connection for the suspension ring. Most however, appear to be this blockier post on the top cross arm. Could this be an indication of the maker's differences? Thanks!

Tim

post-548-072614800 1294384876_thumb.jpg

I have seen one example that had a narrow ring/eye type connection for the suspension ring. Most however, appear to be this blockier post on the top cross arm. Could this be an indication of the maker's differences? Thanks!

Tim

Hello Tim,

Yes you are indeed correct. The example with wire loop suspender (on the right) is attributed to the French workshop of Arthus Bertrand with the cylinder suspender example being the Swiss produced model.

The Bertrand model differs from the Freres model in the following areas:

* slightly smaller than the Swiss produced cross.

* the surface of the arms of the cross are more convex.

* the raised parts of the cross are more highly polished than the Swiss model.

* the background grain is finer.

* the ribbon generally seen is 40 mm wide folded in the standard triangle shape.

Hope this helps.

Source: Serbian and Yugoslavian Orders and Decorations, from 1859 to 1941, Pavel Car & Tomislav Muhic, Verlag Militaria, 2009

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for replying and I did see some the die differences you called out, just wanted to confirm in case there were even more manufacturers.

I see a lot of the Swiss made pieces for sale but seldom do I see any of the French produced ones being offered anywhere. I'll need to look for one with the trifold ribbon.

Thanks again! :cheers:

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Another Huguenin Frères example, this one with the tri-fold ribbon. Pretty much identical other than the ribbon and perhaps a bit brighter gilding to the cross.

I really like the look with the tri-fold!

Tim