News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Artillery Band Helmet.

This, to say the least, is a very unusual helmet.

I have not see a blue cloth helmet of its shape or design in any of the British Army regiments.

It has a number of unusual features including a forward pitched dome, flat front peak and sloping rear. It has brass straps

from the central plume holder to front, back and sides. The front sports a Royal Artillery plate with a Victorian crown and the side chain holder with a grenade.

I have been onto the Artillery museum and they can only think it must have been a rejected design submitted for approval.

Any suggestions?

post-11313-080776200 1294671635_thumb.jp

post-11313-083542400 1294671828_thumb.jp

post-11313-077451800 1294671843_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Brian

Sorry but I've just noticed this posting. I can't help thinking that the basic helmet resembles a British Police Custodian style helmet which has been turned around with the flared rear being used as a peak.

The badge also appears too small.

Could you show us the inside please.

Mervyn, any thoughts on it being a Police helmet?

Best regards Simon

Simon - it looks to have a leather type finish ? I suppose it might have been adapted from a Police helmet - but a lot of work with the four brass straps. They did make experimental styles to be submitted to different Boards - perhaps Brian is right and it is such a helmet. Would be valuable if the Artillery link can be proved.