News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals of the Irish Defence Forces.

http://www.military.ie/dfhq/pubrel/publications/documents/Medals%20of%20the%20Irish%20Defence%20Forces.pdf

The Chief of Staff Lt General Sean McCann launched the book

"MEDALS of the IRISH DEFENCE FORCES"

by BQMS Ger O'Connor HQ Bty, 54 FAR

in the Officers Mess McKee Barracks Thursday 20th January 2011.

Second photo is the Staff from DFHQ who designed and laid out the book.

ENJOY!!! :love:

Kevin in Deva, :beer:

Looks as if it will be the definative reference? Are there any other books on the topic?

There is a book that is out of print which was written by Eamonn O'Toole in 1990 and which covers a wider range of Irish medals than this latest publication. I disagree that it will be a definitive reference since they only cover the basics and have not dealt with Irish Police medals or Irish civilian medals. Even on the medals they have covered they do not discuss naming styles, numbers awarded etc. There is a huge amount of information they have not included, which is a pity.

There is a book that is out of print which was written by Eamonn O'Toole in 1990 and which covers a wider range of Irish medals than this latest publication. I disagree that it will be a definitive reference since they only cover the basics and have not dealt with Irish Police medals or Irish civilian medals. Even on the medals they have covered they do not discuss naming styles, numbers awarded etc. There is a huge amount of information they have not included, which is a pity.

Hallo Paul,

first of all the book "Medals of the Irish Defence Forces."

is about military medals, so reference to Police / Civilian medals would

not be included as they fall outside the scope of the book.

The author of this particular publication is Bty/QMS Ger O'Connor

H.Q. Battery 54 Field Artillery Regiment, Column Barracks, Mullingar, Co.Westmeath,

a Reserve Defence Force Unit.

and the military DFHQ (Defence Force Headquarters) had a hand in the publication.

One small omission would be the "new" Reserve Defence Force Service medal which will be shortly coming up for issue, to members of the Reserve including those in the Naval reserve, it will retain the same ribbon, broach clasp, front design, years served clasp, as the current one, but the rear inscription will only refer to "The Reserve Defence Force" thus omitting reference to the F.C.A. / S.M. which is on the currant ones.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Kev,

Given the involvement of the army in producing the book it is even more of a pity that they did not include more information such as a list of recipients of the MMG and DSM, as well as detailed information on the 1916 and 1917-21 Service Medals regarding the numbers issued officialyy named etc. Like I said in my earlier post, they have included the basics but it cannot be consider a definitive work since it leaves out a lot of information that was contained in O'Toole's book, and still leaves the field open for someone to write a detailed book on Irish medals.

:cheers:

I fully understand where you are coming from, however getting detailed info from the Records Office is a difficult process known only too well to those who have attempted to source names and numbers in connection with the 1916 period medals, for some reason its still thought of as "classified" or restricted to immediate family members, (why I do not know or understand as most of those who received the awards & pensions must have passed on to their Eternal Reward by now.)

So any crumbs proffered for publication, must be readily accepted by us mere mortals.

Kev,

Given the involvement of the army in producing the book it is even more of a pity that they did not include more information such as a list of recipients of the MMG and DSM, as well as detailed information on the 1916 and 1917-21 Service Medals regarding the numbers issued officialyy named etc. Like I said in my earlier post, they have included the basics but it cannot be consider a definitive work since it leaves out a lot of information that was contained in O'Toole's book, and still leaves the field open for someone to write a detailed book on Irish medals.

I fully understand where you are coming from, however getting detailed info from the Records Office is a difficult process known only too well to those who have attempted to source names and numbers in connection with the 1916 period medals, for some reason its still thought of as "classified" or restricted to immediate family members, (why I do not know or understand as most of those who received the awards & pensions must have passed on to their Eternal Reward by now.)

So any crumbs proffered for publication, must be readily accepted by us mere mortals.

Kev,

What is very useful are the current regulations around precedence and manner in which they should be worn. I am not aware that these have been published before outside of Army A Regs so it is good to have them in the public domain.

Badly needed to be published, and implemented, when you see pictures like this on public Forums.

Left to right:-

1. Irish Military Service Medal with bar indicating at least 15 years service.

2. The United Nations Peacekeepers Medal

3. United Nations Medal for UNPREDEP – 1995

United Nations Preventative Deployment Force

4. United Nations Medal for UNIFIL – 1978

United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon

5. Irish United Nations Veterans Association Medal

for at least two years membership of the veterans organisation.

A very naughty boy, wearing "bling-bling" on his uniform, to spare his blushes I blanked out his face and name bar, he was present at the public opening of a monument to members of the Irish Defence Forces who lost their lives while serving with the United Nations.

Kevin in Deva. :beer: