News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Ottoman Medals

Linasl

Hello. I have two medals I believe are from the Ottoman Empire. I know they are not expensive, but I would still like to identify what they were made for.

I attached a low resulution photo of one of them, but I have four high resolution photos in a Photobucket Album here:

http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx168/linasl/Ottoman%20Medals/

Any assistance would be appreciated, especially for the first one.

Thank you. Linas

It is a very long story why they called it "Jewish Medals" but let me try to explain you shortly.

In 1908 , it was Sultan II.Abdulhamid period , Sultan declare the 2nd. constitutional monarchy (Mesrutiyet) in Ottoman Empire and it was a very big news for the public.

As we look like the modernism and right to the Non-Christians in Ottoman Empire in that period , it was totally a celebration and happiness in the empire.

I n that period , this happiness was visible in the flags , post cards , handkerchiefs and even in the custom made medals. But why they called those medals as "Jewish Medals " ?

Because if we look to the Sultan Mehmed IV period , in 1600 years , in Selanik (In Greece Now) there was a jewish Origin Sebatay Levi and his followers have been made Muslim , forced to change their religion

because of this , their execution is canceled and they were forgiven by the Sultan .

When we looked to the public under the II.Mesrutiyet in 1908 , II.Abdulhamid period , we can notice that all the unvisible forces and those people was "Sebatays" .

That is why , all the Mesrutiyet lovers called that medals as Jewish Medals and that name came to our days ...

Hope it helps ,

Avsar IBAR