News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Removing Gilt from Silver....

My old man has just got his hands on a lovely Victorian Silver medal hanger and buckle to adorn a French Crimea medal which is being re-ribboned.

Now at some time of its life the hanger and buckle have been badly gilded with gold. This is tarnished and worn in places, and would look much beter in just the silver finish.

So, to this end, other than taking them to a jeweller to have it buffed off, how can he remove the gilding? (The reason he doesnt want to have it buffed off is that the hanger and buckle both have a lovely floral design, and he doesnt want to loose any of the detail.)

All the best

Dan

Dan - it should be lightly buffed off by a silversmith - or, a trained jeweller. You should then have it lightly re-gilded to match the original. Many jewellers tend to gold plate - and this is not want you want.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

• 2 months later...

My old man has just got his hands on a lovely Victorian Silver medal hanger and buckle to adorn a French Crimea medal which is being re-ribboned.

Now at some time of its life the hanger and buckle have been badly gilded with gold. This is tarnished and worn in places, and would look much beter in just the silver finish.

So, to this end, other than taking them to a jeweller to have it buffed off, how can he remove the gilding? (The reason he doesnt want to have it buffed off is that the hanger and buckle both have a lovely floral design, and he doesnt want to loose any of the detail.)

All the best

Dan

Does anyone have an answer to Dan's question about safely removing gilding from gilded objects? I have a badly deteriorating badge that I'm dying to remove the gilding on it... Cheers

• 1 year later...

its possible .

according to my period jeweler book there two methods

revers electrolytically

and cold DE- Golding with acids

but those are the old way's ..

there must be enough modern time old school jewelers around able to help you out

regards kay

Not everything can be effectively carried out by amateurs. I see a lot of silver in the shop that has been damaged

by people trying to rub off worn gilding. The hard rubbing damages patterns in the silver and remains of the gilt

always seem to get left behind. Jewellers do not always work in gilt and my advice is to locate a good silversmith.