News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Military Codes and Cryptology

I notice that we do not have a category for a subject of military interest. Perhaps we should have one. As an amateur radio operator (KB6GLX), I developed an interest in manual morse as a youngster. It appears that codes were used in the military prior to Napolean's "Cipher Cards". There are many collectors of military encryption devices. As a new member of the U.S. Naval Cryptologic Veteran's Association, I recently received this email concerning the enigmatic Voynich Manuscript. Speaking of ENIGMAtic, the German ENIGMA system is currently being sold on the internet:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

Dick LaTondre

www.thegoldenkite.com

Hi Dick,

Very interesting link. As far a military codes and cyphers are concerned, most people think of Enigma, not realizing that there is more to it than that. There is an Enigma machine on display at the Canadian Forces Communication Museum in Kingston, Ontario. There are also quite a few other more recent, but no longer used, cypher machines on display. I'm also an amateur (VE9BK) and mostly active using morse code.

Jean-Paul

Hi Dick,

Very interesting link. As far a military codes and cyphers are concerned, most people think of Enigma, not realizing that there is more to it than that. There is an Enigma machine on display at the Canadian Forces Communication Museum in Kingston, Ontario. There are also quite a few other more recent, but no longer used, cypher machines on display. I'm also an amateur (VE9BK) and mostly active using morse code.

Jean-Paul

Thanks Jean-Paul. The url for the above message is still truncated and not correct. You can go to Wikipedia and type in "Voynich manuscript"