News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Advanced Modeler's Syndrome

StephenLawson

Greetings all;

In in the past several have pronounced the dangers thereof. While I fully admit to having it there are those who's high caliber modeling skills are self-evident of the affliction. One fine modeler that comes to mind is the master builder Ken Foran.

In a recent e-mail to me he mentioned that the reason he went to scratchbuilding in brass was that he was tired of the "crap" that is sold as scale in kits. Looking at his fine works on the WWI Modelers Page I realize that I too could aspire to such works...with the right tools. But I am loth to spend a whole year on just one kit without working on others and completing them within a reasonable time space.

The point is that there is room at the contest table for everyone. The builder, the detailer, the superdetailer, the scratchbuilder. Multilevels in this hobby assure that everyone has a place. There are merits to the clean simple basic build (as evidenced by the preference of these in many contest winners categories) and to the fine masterful work of say, Mr. Lance Krieg ( a Mike Fritz awardee.) The "most memorable build and dioramas" thread gives us all a taste of what other builders are doing in other parts of the world. Most of the time imitating the finer merits of these builds helps the build gain new insights as how he / she can excel.

The whole reason for the "Military Modeling" title is to learn and excel. Mastering techniques like dry brushing to bring out "existing molded in details" for instance. Learning to put down just enough paint to give the right effect. Realizing that the whole reason for putty is to level a surface or union in preparation for painting. The whole purpose to sanding is to level a surface or union in preparation for painting. Learning to build a model that you the builder is acceptable. Comparing the kits you built as a kid to the ones you build today and asking the question...what could I do to improve?

Don't let anyone tell you that you should not try to do any better or that you should be satisfied with their opinions. Also understand that if you post something and ask for an honest assessment be warned you just may get it. Though I prefer to do it in personal messages first then bring it to open discussion if there's anything that everyone might benefit from it. Others have differing approaches. It seems the general attitude here is to encourage all builds and criticisms are downplayed to help the neophyte learn to walk rather than crawl. This is a good practice and keeps unwarranted critics out of the picture. When one is ready for meat then the milk dries up.

Though occassionally you will find yourself stepping back from the detailed builds and doing something simple to keep fun in your hobby. He have that luxury and its one we all should not shut out of the hobby room or brush into the dust bin. Just my opinion

But a word of warning. The key word here is better. Another key word is fun.

When it stops being fun, it isn't a hobby any more. An obsession, perhaps, but not a hobby.

So pursue excellence, by all means, but never lose the fun.

And watch out for super-heated lasers. :off topic:

Edited by Michael Johnson

Hey Steve,

I agree with what you're saying. I have no problem with criticism as long as it is constructive and not the "holier than thou art" type of replies. I've visited a lot of modeling forums where no matter what is posted, it's just the best thing they have ever seen, when clearly there was room for improvement utilizing very simple methods. I think those forums are more for show and tell, and I'm sure they don't want to scare new or younger modelers away. I've posted projects that I was sincerely looking for constructive criticism on, and really gotten nothing. This after looking at the work of some clearly outstanding modelers. I suppose you have to attach a disclaimer asking for honest opinions.

BTW, sorry we couldn't talk the other morning, they are keeping me running. I'm looking forward to getting back to M/W soon.

Any shows coming to Denver soon?? I've never entered a contest. I don't really model at that level, but would enjoy the experience. Talk to you soon.

Hey Steve,

I agree with what you're saying. I have no problem with criticism as long as it is constructive and not the "holier than thou art" type of replies. I've visited a lot of modeling forums where no matter what is posted, it's just the best thing they have ever seen, when clearly there was room for improvement utilizing very simple methods. I think those forums are more for show and tell, and I'm sure they don't want to scare new or younger modelers away. I've posted projects that I was sincerely looking for constructive criticism on, and really gotten nothing. This after looking at the work of some clearly outstanding modelers. I suppose you have to attach a disclaimer asking for honest opinions.

BTW, sorry we couldn't talk the other morning, they are keeping me running. I'm looking forward to getting back to M/W soon.

Any shows coming to Denver soon?? I've never entered a contest. I don't really model at that level, but would enjoy the experience. Talk to you soon.

I can agree with that as well. If you know what your talking about provide a simple reference for everyone to get a look at. Also, don't worry about no having enough time at work. Things are not going to ever get back to the quiet easy days we once knew. Can't get to retirement quick enough. Just 3 years to be eligible.

For honest cutthroat critiques the IPMS local model clubs have always been the best forum. On the shows I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Steve. I'm also still wanting to check out your new museum location. This summer should be much quieter. Do you guys still have that box of imperial medals? This is the place to get them identified.

Yep, 3 years, 8 days, but who's counting?? :rolleyes: