News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1st type American Defense medal

army historian

Hi Capt Albert,

It's about average IMO. All depends on who is selling it, as I have seen these go from anywhere between $9.99 - $29.99 for a complete boxed set as shown below. Just pays to be paitient as sometimes there are no other bidders and then, bidding wars knock these common service/campaign medals out of the park.

Tim

Tim B, yes I am aware of the 2nd type medal *(knob suspension) American Defense Medal, this is the first type "Ring Suspension". I know they are very scare, that is why I asked for a value. I have seen a few for $75.00 and up. Cheers Captain Albert

Hi Capt Albert,

It's about average IMO. All depends on who is selling it, as I have seen these go from anywhere between $9.99 - $29.99 for a complete boxed set as shown below. Just pays to be paitient as sometimes there are no other bidders and then, bidding wars knock these common service/campaign medals out of the park.

Tim

Edited by army historian

Hi,

I really don't think you're going to see much difference in pricing honestly, these were pretty common medals and seem to remain abundant, even today. I picked up a nice ring suspension Navy Expeditionary Medal just recently and still paid less than $10. for it, despite finding more modern examples listing for more. The one I got had the ring suspension and crimped style brooch, but there was another one with the wrap brooch that sold recently and it still sold around $120. if I remember correctly and these are harder to find.

Guess it all comes down to what someone wants to pay for it at that moment. List it and you'll find out I'm sure.

Hope that helps answer your question a bit better.

Tim

* corrected some prices

Edited by Tim B

Thanks for the reply Tim. I'll say one thing if you got a ring suspension Navy Expeditionary Medal for less that $15.00 you are really doing well. I have found almost all ring suspension medals usually higher in price, but you are correct it depends. Cheers Captain Albert

Hi,

I really don't think you're going to see much difference in pricing honestly, these were pretty common medals and seem to remain abundant, even today. I picked up a nice ring suspension Navy Expeditionary Medal just recently and still paid less than $15. for it, despite finding more modern examples listing for more. The one I got had the ring suspension and crimped style brooch, but there was another one with the wrap brooch that sold recently and it still sold around $30. if I remember correctly and these are harder to find.

Guess it all comes down to what someone wants to pay for it at that moment. Hope that helps answer your question a bit better.

Tim

Oh, no doubt, I was happy to see no one wanted to go over $9.99!:jumping: It's near mint and has some lacquer in a couple of spots on the reverse but, other than that, looks great.

Now, on the other hand, there are numerous later issue versions, some listing for over $75. That's just crazy IMO but then again, depends on who wants it bad enough. I personally would not have paid near $120. for the wrap-brooch example but there were others that did. SO, in your case, you might find someone that really wants it.

Tim :cheers:

Was the rap - brooch piece numbered? If not I agree with you. Nice medal. Thanks for sharing. I got this message from the dealer I bought the medal from "Should go out Thursday George. You got a hell of a buy on that – I’ve never seen one sell for less then $50!" Cheers Captain Albert

Oh, no doubt, I was happy to see no one wanted to go over $9.99!:jumping: It's near mint and has some lacquer in a couple of spots on the reverse but, other than that, looks great.

Now, on the other hand, there are numerous later issue versions, some listing for over $75. That's just crazy IMO but then again, depends on who wants it bad enough. I personally would not have paid near $120. for the wrap-brooch example but there were others that did. SO, in your case, you might find someone that really wants it.

Tim :cheers:

Edited by army historian

:cheers: Congrats! Pays to shop for sure.

On the wrap-brooch example I was watching; no, the medal appeared to be unnumbered, at least I didn't see any and nothing was called out.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, I just picked this up for $15.99 and would like some options - It looks good, but I am not real familiar with going prices (other than cheap). Thanks Captain Albert :cheers:

I agree, good deal at 16 bucks. Ring suspension is more valued IF you are a variation collector, if not then it's a matter of just having an example in your collection. 75 seems too high for a ring suspension. They are more scarce that the knob suspension but are not impossible to find. It comes down to what you are willing to pay for the variation. I would not pay more than 35 or 40 for one at the very high end so i think yo got a good deal.

My $.02

Tony

Edited by Sal

Thanks tony, That was what I though. Cheers Captain Albert

I agree, good deal at 16 bucks. Ring suspension is more valued IF you are a variation collector, if not then it's a matter of just having an example in your collection. 75 seems too high for a ring suspension. They are more scarce that the knob suspension but are not impossible to find. It comes down to what you are willing to pay for the variation. I would not pay more than 35 or 40 for one at the very high end so i think yo got a good deal.

My $.02

Tony