News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Model 1860 cavalry Sword

bmsm

This is my Model 1860 Cavalry Sword with the maker mark of C. Roby W. Chelmsford, Mass. and US/1865/A.G.M. It has a 35 in. long blade.

It is my understanding that this year of swords were made too late to see action in the American Civil War or also known as the War Between the States.

Bob

This is my Model 1860 Cavalry Sword with the maker mark of C. Roby W. Chelmsford, Mass. and US/1865/A.G.M. It has a 35 in. long blade.

It is my understanding that this year of swords were made too late to see action in the American Civil War or also known as the War Between the States.

Bob

I'm no expert on US swords and I know that 'new models' never get issued as fast as headquarters, but if it was approved in 1860 there must have been some made bewyeen then and the end of the Civil War in 1865, even if there weren't enough to arm all the cavalry.

Also, swords were carried by US cavalry for some years after 1865. An account I read yers ago about US cavalry 'pacifying' the US West mention that troops on patrol against possible hostile Indians didn't carryswords but the clear implication was that swords had been issued. And they would certainly been carried by mounted troops in full dress/parade order till at least 1900 or later.

Yes, there were other year (1861,1862,1863, etc.) that were used but the 1865 year blade apparently were made too late to be used in the war.

Bob

I'm no expert on US swords and I know that 'new models' never get issued as fast as headquarters, but if it was approved in 1860 there must have been some made bewyeen then and the end of the Civil War in 1865, even if there weren't enough to arm all the cavalry.

Also, swords were carried by US cavalry for some years after 1865. An account I read yers ago about US cavalry 'pacifying' the US West mention that troops on patrol against possible hostile Indians didn't carryswords but the clear implication was that swords had been issued. And they would certainly been carried by mounted troops in full dress/parade order till at least 1900 or later.

Bob - a very nice sword - in excellent condition for it's age. The pattern was an 1820's made by the French and for many years they made and shipped them to the US. I think most of the later ones were made in the US.

Because of the popularity of the sword - obviously associated with the Civil War - it is the most highly forged sword in the World ! India is the main producer, closely followed by Italy. The copies are so good that I will not buy them - the only positive way to tell is to put the point on the floor - and lean on it...... if the blade snaps it is a forgery - but sellers don't like you doing this ?

I am sure you have good provenance - how long have you had it ?

Mervyn,

I have had this sword about 20 years and the person whom I bought it from had it +or - 20 years and you are not going to break this blade by leaning on it as I've tried.

Bob

Bob - a very nice sword - in excellent condition for it's age. The pattern was an 1820's made by the French and for many years they made and shipped them to the US. I think most of the later ones were made in the US.

Because of the popularity of the sword - obviously associated with the Civil War - it is the most highly forged sword in the World ! India is the main producer, closely followed by Italy. The copies are so good that I will not buy them - the only positive way to tell is to put the point on the floor - and lean on it...... if the blade snaps it is a forgery - but sellers don't like you doing this ?

I am sure you have good provenance - how long have you had it ?

Yes, there were other year (1861,1862,1863, etc.) that were used but the 1865 year blade apparently were made too late to be used in the war.

Bob

Monahan shoots from the mouth again! :speechless:

If I'd read more carefully I'd have noticed the 1865 dating, referring to the blade and not the 1860 [model year]. My comments were predictaed on my mistaken notion that the whole thing was dated 1860. D'oh! [hanging my head in shame]

Peter