News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Four reasons I love French Colonial medals

Markus

I think the French Colonial medals really stand out when it comes to design and manufacture. The French medal makers incorporated design elements from the colonies and created unique pieces that stand out as both beautiful and unique. With all the colonial medals, there where multiple French makers, so slight variations of design are noticed even in the same order.

In the attached image is:

Order of the Dragon of Annam (French colonial Vietnam) 1886-1960's Lemaitre-maker

Order of Ouissam Alaouit (French colonial Morocco) 1913-1956 Arthus Bertrand-maker

Order of Cambodia (French colonial Cambodia) 1864-1948 Boulanger-maker

Order of Nichan El-Anouar (French Somaliland Djibouti) 1867-1963 French maker

Markus

The relationship of these medals: They were instituted under French colonial rule for French colonial territories and awarded to both French and citizens of the colonial countries.

Markus

I don't see the relation between orders and medals here.

Still, these are nice pics of orders.

Stunning examples Marcus! I had not seen the French Somaliland Order before.

But yes, these stand among the highest examples of the jeweller's craft.

I know the Orders of the Dragon and Cambodia have different ribbon colours depending on whether they were awarded by the local ruler as opposed to the French President. Is the same true for the Moroco and Somaliland Orders?

Hi Gavin!

I have never seen variations in the Order of Nichan El-Anouar order ribbons or the Morocco Ouissam Alaouit ribbons. The Dragon of Annam I have seen in three different ribbons. Very early models had a ribbon like the Cambodia order, white ribbon with gold stripes. Later models had the French government issued ribbons of orange ribbon with yellow stripes or the Annam issued medals with green with gold stripes.

Markus

Stunning examples Marcus! I had not seen the French Somaliland Order before.

But yes, these stand among the highest examples of the jeweller's craft.

I know the Orders of the Dragon and Cambodia have different ribbon colours depending on whether they were awarded by the local ruler as opposed to the French President. Is the same true for the Moroco and Somaliland Orders?

Edited by Markus

Beautiful. It's the different designs of the dragon from different periods / makers that I find so appealing about these orders.

Makes collecting these very rewarding.

Here's a 5th Class Order of the Dragon that arrived in the mail today.

It was quite heavily tarnished so spent a very happy hour or two cleaning it, first with a toothbrush and soapy water, and then with a silver polishing cloth.

The dragon is enamelled (although it appears more like a matte paint) green with a yellow belly although it is hard to tell in the photograph.

Beautiful addition to your collection Gavin!

The Dragon has nice detailing and is yet another variation of the many makers of the Dragon of Annam. I could just collect these Dragons and be very happy and content with my hobby!

beer.gif

In fact and to be very precise on the wording there are seven French Colonial Orders :

- Ordre du Dragon d'Annam (Indochina, to be short)

- Ordre Royal du Cambodge (Cambodia)

- Ordre de l'Etoile Noire (French Western Africa)

- Ordre du Nichan El Anouar (Djibouti, Horn of Africa)

- Ordre de l'Etoile d'Anjouan (Comoros Islands)

The two others are from French 'Protectorates' but not actually considered as 'Colonies' because they were ruled by autonomous governorships.

- Ordre du Ouissam Alaouite (Morocco)

- Ordre du Nicham Iftikhar (Tunisia)

Therefore there are at least three more reasons to love them...

Cordialement

Bison

Edited by Bison

1. 2. 3.

1. Ordre de l'Etoile Noire (Colonial Order, French Western Africa))

2. Ordre du Nicham Iftikhar (Protectorate Order, Tunisia)

3. Ordre de l'Etoile d'Anjouan (Colonial Order, Comoros)

Aye

Bison

For the Ouissam Alaouite, the model you are presenting is a post 1937 model, with an orange ribbon with two white stripes (this disposition was taken to avoid confusion with the red ribbon of the Légion d'honneur).

In 1913, the first model was wearing the Quran sentence in the branches :"There is no god but God, and Muhammad is the messenger of God". This mention has been suppressed by the influence of the French Governor of the Protectorate, Marshall Lyautey.

Well said, Bison. These are French Orders and I should be using their correct French terms.

Three more reasons to love French colonial medals indeed! Thanks for sharing your fine examples.

Interesting information about the Ouissam Alaouite and how the Quran verse was suppressed by the French Governor.

Is there much interest in collecting these orders in France? As a non-French person, I find these orders beautiful and highly desirable.

Thanks Bison for your additions to this thread! I really value all the expert members sharing their knowledge on this Forum. jumping.gif

The French Colonial and French Protectorates medals are a hard group to beat with the beautiful designs, world class French medal makers and diversity of this group.

I have been collecting the Nichan Aftikhar medals as well, trying to assemble one medal from each Bey era. Do you view this medal as both French and Tunisian or firmly place it in the French section of medals? It seems like this medal ceased to exist as an order immediately after the independence of Tunisia.

Best Regards,

Marcus

Is there much interest in collecting these orders in France? As a non-French person, I find these orders beautiful and highly desirable.

Yes it is! Because there are beautiful and desirable, and also because the history attached to them is of utmost interest. All ODMs from the colonial period are considered as a must for a modest French collector like me...

Aye

Bison

• 2 weeks later...

My Royal Order of Cambodia (Ordre Royal du Cambodge) which arrived today.

Have to agree that these are one of the most attractive orders around in terms of the sheer elegance of the design.

Believe these have now been resurrected under the current Kingdom.

Edited by drclaw

Congrats Gavin! cheers.gif

I Particularly like the piercing of the plaque on your medal. Seems like this piercing technique was only used on the earlier medal production. If this medal is still being produced, I'm sure the quality is no where near the quality of the early French medal makers.

Congrats Gavin! cheers.gif

I Particularly like the piercing of the plaque on your medal. Seems like this piercing technique was only used on the earlier medal production. If this medal is still being produced, I'm sure the quality is no where near the quality of the early French medal makers.

Hello all !

These beautiful pictures show two kinds of orders, which the purist collector of French colonial material should clearly understand.

One first group of five orders are proprely considered to be French colonial orders. They originally were Indo-Chinese or African, awarded by local rulers of countries which had been taken over by France in the later XIXth century, namely :

The Royal Order of Cambodia

The Order of the Dragon of Annam (one of the componants of now Viet-Nam).

The African Order of the Black Star of Benin (West African country)

The African Order of the Star of Anjouan (Small island in the Indian Ocean, off the East African coast).

The African Order of Nichan-el-Anouar (Tadjourah a minute Sultanate on the Red Sea)

These orders were simply annexed by the French and the Chancery of the Legion of honor was in charge of all five. The local rulers had practically no say.

The first two were returned to the King of Cambodia and the Emperor of Annam shortly after WW2.

The three others were dubbed "Overseas Orders" and continued to be awarded until they disappeared with the creation of the National order of merit along with a dozen other minor government "orders" in 1963.

The second group of two orders were treated differently. Nichan-Iftikar of Tunisia and Ouissam-Alaouite of Marocco, although they were frequently bestowed upon Frenchmen, remained "foreign" orders whith close ties to the French.

The Nichan-Iftikar disappeared when Tunisia became a Republic.

The Ouissam-Alaouite is still bestowed by the King of Morocco.

Rather confusing, of course. But these orders deserve to be understood as best as possible.

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Beautiful Markus, just beautiful.

The enamels on the dragon just glow. And I was surprised at the size of the order relative to the officers and knights.

Now I definitely have jewel envy :lol:

All you need now is a First and Second Class and your set is complete!