News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Golden Grain

Richard LaTondre

Modern fake.

From eBay? If so, I think I may know which auction...

*-Oops, didn't see you already mentioned it.-*

I know which seller. He has several medals for sale. Only two of them are real. A 3rd class Cloud and Banner and a Brilliant Star. The Brilliant Star is not WWII, only a Taiwan version and not worth that much. The Cloud and Banner is not worth that much because it is heavily damaged. The rest are the fakes coming out of China. I messaged him about the 7th class Cloud and Banner and told him it was listed wrong and a fake, he just changed the description but did not mention it was still a fake.

Edited by hc8604

[Excellent. It appears that the colored dots that represent the colors in the flag of the Chinese Republic are in the wrong direction. They are going "clock-wise" when they should be gpong "clock-wise". Thanks for your input. It is also without the white enameled rays with the gold lines in between and/or the gilded center rays.

Richard La Tondre

Edited by Richard LaTondre

Modern fake.

From eBay? If so, I think I may know which auction...

*-Oops, didn't see you already mentioned it.-*

I know which seller. He has several medals for sale. Only two of them are real. A 3rd class Cloud and Banner and a Brilliant Star. The Brilliant Star is not WWII, only a Taiwan version and not worth that much. The Cloud and Banner is not worth that much because it is heavily damaged. The rest are the fakes coming out of China. I messaged him about the 7th class Cloud and Banner and told him it was listed wrong and a fake, he just changed the description but did not mention it was still a fake.

I meant to say the dots are going to the right instead of the left.

Richard and HC, thanks for putting this up for discussion.

I'm really struggling to tell the fakes from the genuines which is why I'm very nervous about picking any Chinese items up on ebay.

More confident going through a reputable auction house who not only have the expert staff, but their reputations on the line.

Thanks again, Gavin

The Golden Grain is a beautiful award. I recently got one, just the medal and is missing the suspension ring. The breast badge is the only one that is fake out there so far.

I agree with Richard that the colors are backwards, but there maybe a few exceptions as the medals were made by different jewelers so it can be hard to get the design standardlized (remember this is China ;) ).

The fake one, in my opinion, is the only one out of all the fake medal design that close resembles the actual medal. There are still details that are lacking, but still close. I don't know the demensions of the fake though.

Richard and HC, thanks for putting this up for discussion.

I'm really struggling to tell the fakes from the genuines which is why I'm very nervous about picking any Chinese items up on ebay.

More confident going through a reputable auction house who not only have the expert staff, but their reputations on the line.

Thanks again, Gavin

We all need to be careful when we enter the arena of older Chinese medals. The more we study them we learn more of their characteristics. There is a lady on the OMSA site that I believe may have purchased a reproduction.

Richard