News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cuff Design of 5th Punjab Cavalry

Dear all,

Take my regards. I have got some images of the Field Officers (FO) of 5th Punjab Cavalry. Cuff design of FO of 5th Punjab Cavalry is not clear in the images. Can anyone provide me any clear and detail image of the cuff design of FO of 5th Punjab Cavalry?

25thcav1884-up.jpg

25thcav1890-up.jpg

Have a nice day,

Regards

Shams

Hi - Shams - Hope you are well ? Two very interesting photographs - Edward 7th. from the Crown. I can't help you with the cuffs - however, I would like to comment on the photos to see if any members agree with me.

The top photo appears to be a General - the Austrian frogging on his uniform is quite superb - and I am not sure when I last saw such an elaborate cuff. What I did find strange was the the medals are 'buried' under the cross frogging - I would have thought the medals would have been over this ? His Shabraque - which you can see in the lower picture - is this a Regimental or, a General's pattern ? The other seated officer could perhaps be the Regt. Colonel - only the man on the right has a general officer's mameluke sword.

Do you have any photos of early Police that you could post on our Police Forum ? Best wishes Mervyn.

Hi Shams,

the second photo is described thus on - http://www.britishem...25thcav1890.htm

"This detail is from a group photo of officers of the 5th and 2nd Punjab Cavalry taken at Muridki Camp in 1890. This senior officer seated at the right end is wearing the new tunic with the six rows of gold cords that are in straight groupings instead of plaited. The cords appear to be sewn together for neatness, contrasting with the less tidy cording of the 2nd Punjab officers standing behind him. The decoration at the end of the cords has changed to an Austrian knot in place of the trefoil, with extra loops added to the top cords on the shoulder. He has the pouchbelt with red and gold cord attached. His sword is more curved than before and the red and gold sabretache is clear to see. His helmet is on the floor by his feet. The red and green plume is attached to the top where in many photos a spike is in place. His hessian boots have no gold top edge or corded boss."

But what strikes me is that the helmet appears to have the QVC whilst the sabretache has the KC. The 5th became the 25th Cavalry (Frontier Force) in 1903 so that would explain the KC. Perhaps the helmet plate just had not been changed after Victoria's death. This does not help with the cuff design which has an Austrian knot with lots of added embroidery.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates